Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Amiko SHD-8900 Alien
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    The Amiko SHD-8900 Alien really got my attention. I search the internet for fta software and hardware as part of a hobby. When I saw this receiver,I simply could not pass it up. I just have finished paying $258.99 for this receiver and its optional wireless keyboard. This price includes a 3 year warranty through square trade on Ebay. Expected wait time for the shipping is approximately 2 weeks.
    The Amiko SHD-8900 has a lot of features that I have dreamed about a fta receiver having. I dunno, maybe I just blew a couple of hundred bucks on a piece of junk, but I am sick and tired of the over-priced fta receivers with piss poor firmwares that are available in the U.S. & the North American Market.
    One feature that stands out for me on this particular Amiko is the dual boot capability. I expect the SHD-8900 receiver to have the feel of two different receivers with the dual boot. The Amiko SHD-8900 pvr can also record not one or two but up to four SD programs at one time.
    A .pdf review from a good source is attached. Please take the time to read the review and tell me what you think. I realize $260.00 U.S. is a steep price for a fta receiver, but look at all of the features and options I get for that money. I paid almost $260.00 for a Pansat 9500HDx receiver not long ago.
    Buying a fta receiver like this is a very risky venture at best. To be as safe as possible, I purchased this receiver through Ebay. I also researched the seller as best as I could, and I paid with PayPal. Hopefully, I purchased an excellent receiver that very few people have in this part of the world, and at worst, I have lost some money. One thing is for sure: I could not stomach buying another Ali based receiver, so I decided to pass on the new SatAv product and put my money in this thing. Only time will tell if I made the right decision. EB

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to a video that shows some of the menus and capabilities of this receiver.

Last edited by ViP3R; 01-28-2012 at 07:44 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darn, I was hoping, for that price, we would have seen 4:2:2 chroma included. Didn't see AC3 audio but I am assuming that is the Dolby Digital listed under Technical specs? Definitely a far cry, in price, from the new S-12!
    Optibox Anaconda, X2, OpenBox-S9, CS8000 and 2 X CW700S, 7 1/2' Perfect Ten scanning 55W to 139W C Band and a 39" Q-Sat scanning 30W to 125W Ku Band

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see why you have one on the way EB, looks very interesting , I have not read the whole review yet buy, looks like very fast scanning, pid entry and and and..Looking forward to hearing from you on how it performs.

Oh, I embedded the video for you above..

click click b00m

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know if it does 4:2:2 or not, but I assume there is no 4:2:2.
    I have seen AC3 in some of the videos so I am not too worried about that. My only question about ac3: Is it available through the hdmi connector or is a separate cable needed? For this $260.00 price, I got the remote keyboard and a video player that is supposed to actually play some videos besides what the receiver can record. Plus, the receiver supports wireless 3G devices and usb wifi devices. This will make it easier to connect the receiver to the internet. Plug-ins are another option that I will have to explore.

Almost any DVB S2 receiver will appear to be high priced when compared to the $49.00 price of the S12. As far as comparing the price to the S12, what do you actually get with a S12? The S12 is made out of the cheapest materials available, and it is missing some hardware. The S12 internet connection is useless for this part of the world and the video player on the S12 or any other current Openbox product will not play much of a variety of videos. Playing YouTube or other internet videos on the S12 is a pipe dream.
    My $260.00 Amiko SHD-8900 Alien price reflects two options that I did not have to buy. I purchased the wireless keyboard plus an extended three year warranty and these two options drove the price up about 60 dollars. I could have purchased the Amiko SHD-8900 Alien for 189.00 dollars if I had not purchased these two options.
    Currently, the Manhattan sells(or is advertised) for around $175.00, the Pansat 9500 HDX sells for a little over $200.00, and Sat Av says his new micro receiver will sell for around $125.00. The Amiko SHD-8900 Alien does not have that steep of a price when you look at the other receiver prices, then factor in what you are supposed to get for the money.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ViP3R View Post
    I can see why you have one on the way EB, looks very interesting , I have not read the whole review yet buy, looks like very fast scanning, pid entry and and and..Looking forward to hearing from you on how it performs.

Oh, I embedded the video for you above..
    Thanks for embedding the video but I still see the link and not the video...
    I like electronics with bells and whistles. If it works as advertised, I bet you will get one too...lol

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Hungarian receiver at that.. not sure if I have seen or heard of one from there..Do they have a website for file releases? and do they have other models or is this the first for them?

I think 189 is reasonable for the features..what about the sat list..have you found an editor to make NA satellite lists?

click click b00m

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did notice all the different video formats it plays and that is a definite plus. I had about 20 recorded movies on my external HDD in avi. format that the S-9 will not play. I see this receiver will play avi and many others. That is a definite plus, and you're right, once you read the complete write up, $260 is not a huge outlay when you consider what it does. The idea of internet connectivity is great, as well. I will definitely be watching for your reviews on this box.
    Optibox Anaconda, X2, OpenBox-S9, CS8000 and 2 X CW700S, 7 1/2' Perfect Ten scanning 55W to 139W C Band and a 39" Q-Sat scanning 30W to 125W Ku Band

9. Collapse Details
    Guest Guest
    There's a full review of this receiver in this months issue:

HTML Code:
    http://magazine.tele-satellite.com/eng/TELE-satellite-1201.pdf

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Code:
    http://www.amikostb.com/?q=home
    One of the Amiko websites is listed in the above link.
    Software updates can be done over the internet if you boot in Spark. (Remember, there are two different firmware boots for this receiver. It is a dual boot piece.) I do not see any problems getting the updates that are available for this receiver.
    I have found some tools and a channel editor program, but I understand that the channel editor in the receiver is more powerful than what we are used to with the Ali firmwares. I will post firmware links and tools for this receiver once I actually get the receiver and run it a little bit. I have two weeks at least to search and prepare for the arrival of this receiver.
    Overall, from what I have seen, the reviews are good and there are not many complaints about this receiver's performance. TELESatellite magazine is supposed to review the remote keyboard for this receiver in the January 2012 issue. I will look at Costa's link and see what they say about it.

Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast