Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Installing a hotdish90
    Bellboy Guest
    Ok I need some help on the install of this dish. I do want to add a motor in the future.
    hotdish90 offset dish, Standard ku lnbf. openbox S10
    for starters.
    How long of a pole do I need? I do know that pole must be leveled.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you already got a spot picked out to install this dish?
    Picking a spot for the dish should be one of the first things to do. If you have obstructions or think you have obstructions, you can calculate how they may affect you by using the Satellite Antenna Alignment program found in the link.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

3. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    Thanks el, I downloaded the file
    I have a spot picked out which I think will work. I have a tripod for a dish in the shed maybe I can hook things up temp so I can find the best spot. I'm a newb at this lol I'm going to ask all the dum ?'s I have lmao. This should be fun.
    I want to do this install step by step so other members can learn as well.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Bellboy; 07-08-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: file fixed

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, No questions are dumb when a person is trying to learn.

Setting the dish on a temporary tripod has lots of advantages. You can move the dish around and see what satellites are available at a given location. In a way, this is extra work but it may save you from digging a hole and planting a dish pole that you need to move.

For me, a good motor pole will be about 2.5 inches in outside diameter. It will be black steel pipe with a schedule 40 wall thickness. I expect my ku motor poles to hold up to 50 pounds of weight.

Motor poles can vary in length. Here in Atlanta and the surrounding area, we have a clay type of soil so digging down real deep and using a lot of concrete is not really necessary. 2.5 to 3 Feet deep is about as far as I care to dig for a ku motor pole.
    The length of the pole is decided by the area where the dish will be installed. In almost all installations, about half of your dish will be above the top of the pole. this means that you could probably get a 5 foot piece of pipe and put 2 feet of it in the ground, leaving 3 feet to run your 3 foot dish. This would be cutting it close but it would probably work with a ku motor.
    For my installations, I like to get a pipe that is between 8 and 9 feet long. This length gives me plenty of pipe to stick in the ground and the completed installation leaves me with 5-6 feet of pipe to work with. I do not like to go any higher than 6 feet because the pole is easier to move on its own, plus you may need a ladder to make adjustments.
    In December of 2007, I wrote an article on installing a motor pole. Some of the things I did are overkill but I have not had any problems with that pole. The motor pole .pdf file can be found in the link. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

5. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    I will mess with the tripod we have the same clay base as you do in NC so anchoring the tripod wont be a problem lol it might be more work but its a good way to learn & the wife will kill me if I put to many holes in the yard.

I have been playing with the sat angle app you posted. I am at Lat- 36, 8.6 min N & Long- 80, 8.5 min W. Still learning the app. I will go with a pole like your talking about. I downloaded the pdf & will go over it in the morning.
    Thanks bro

6. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    I now have the dish mounted on the tripod. What sat should I go after to test? What are the LNB settings?
    Last edited by Bellboy; 07-13-2011 at 11:22 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    What lnb do you have?? What is the make and model number?
    If it is standard, the l.o. will be 10750.
    If it is universal, use 10600 and turn the 22KHz tone ON. OR use the universal setting of 9750/10600.
    An easy satellite to get will be SES1 at 101 West. Look at Lyngsat: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Goto dishpointer.com and enter your address and your aiming information will be displayed when you select the SES1 satellite.

8. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    The bracket that mounts on back of dish does the arrow point up or down was no instr. with dish?

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the installation videos.
    Google hotdish90 instructions

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

10. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    I'm done for today its raining. The best I got using the S10 was S-45, Q-6. Will mess with it tomorrow. Thanks for the help El

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast