1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloG View Post
    What images are pre installed?
    The file system of an E2 receiver can be fun to ponder. Looking through the Python files and making occasional changes to pee around. Learning that a new one is created after doing so.
    With a full backup of a working and stable system. No harm, no foul.
    Discovering bells and whistles here and there. Kind of diversifies watching people circling a rock and monotonic book readers mumbling stuff you'll never understand nor desire to. Right!
    Almost every enigma2 receiver you get will be shipped with OpenATV. Very few exceptions to this.

You can expect to have your Octagon SF8008 Supreme shipped with OpenATV image and also the Define thingy installed.

IMO, the Define operating system turns the receiver into a cheap China Box. The layout is the same.
    Last edited by el bandido; 04-18-2024 at 08:00 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    A new one for me... I was checking recordings in the play list to delete the ones that were not needed. I selected each recording and advanced the player by touching the number 9 button many times. Stopped the recording and touched red button to delete it. I continued this procedure for five recordings. On the last selected recording, after pressing the 9 button the screen froze.

I waited a few minutes before thinking of doing a reboot or cold boot. Waited a few more minutes and the receiver came back to life and displayed the media/usb
    directory, but the movie sub-directory was missing. Did a putty reboot and still no movie directory. Did a backupsuite good tnap restore and still no movie directory.

Multibooted to ATV and hit the playlist button and it showed no recordings available in the movie directory. Checked the trash and .trash directories and they were also empty. But at least the movie sub-directory was back.

Used the atv system menu to flash tnap-5.1-sf8008-0240322_multiboot.zip into its original slot 3 and rebooted. Did the necessary setup routine and used backupsuite to restore the good tnap image. After the reboot checked the playlist and it was empty, but the movie directory was back.

Do you know of any commands in putty to recover items in the movie directory or any plugin that can recover deleted items? I really don't want to remove the ssd and plug it into win10 to use a third party program to do a recover. Since nothing has been written to the ssd yet, I am pretty sure the movies might be recoverable.

3. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you mounted the 4 slots and checked the lost+found folder?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    All slots were empty.... learned a valuable lesson though.... don't push the 9 button continuously and very fast to advance the recording or the receiver will get ticked off and wipe out the movie directory..... LOL

6. Thanks el bandido, Babadem thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The different enigma2 images that I have tested perform similar on the SF8008 Supreme. Some enigma2 images will have features that other images do not have, but for the most part, they all perform the same.

Blindscan or Scanning in general is an area where the outcome or performance can vary in enigma2 images. A scan comparison test of TNAP-5.1, OpneVix, and OpenATV has been done, and the results are similar except for the scan time. Scan tests were done 117w C and Ku bands. All 3 images were given the same Service Scan files to make things even. The blindscan plugin in OpenVix and OpenATV was modified for scan reports.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    TNAP-5.1 Scan Times:
    117w-C band -Blind Scan Time = 6 Min. 11 Sec.
    245 Channels ( TV = 240 Radio = 5) 69 of 69 Transponders Scanned.

117w-Ku Band - Blind Scan Time = 7 Min. 52 Sec.
    313 Channels ( TV = 280 Radio = 33) 32 of 32 Transponders Scanned.

Scan results are attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    OpenVix Scan Times:
    117w-C band - Blind Scan Time = 5 Min. 58 Sec.
    244 Channels ( TV = 239 Radio = 5) 68 of 68 Transponders Scanned.

117w-Ku Band - Blind Scan Time = 8 Min. 43 Sec.
    311 Channels ( TV = 278 Radio = 33) 32 of 32 Transponders Scanned.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    OpenAtv Scan Times:
    117w-C band - Blind Scan Time = 18 Min. 23 Sec.
    244 Channels ( TV = 239 Radio = 5) 68 of 68 Transponders Scanned.

117w-Ku Band - Blind Scan Time = 10 Min. 02 Sec.
    313 Channels ( TV = 280 Radio = 33) 34 of 34 Transponders Scanned.

11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing these results, I can only wonder WHY Rick Caylor advertises loading the SF8008 Supreme with OpenATV image for use in North America. FTA in North America requires a fast scanning receiver if you want to watch feeds.
    OpenATV is Slow when it comes to scanning. And for icing on the cake, Rick claims to load the Designed-For-Hacking Define Operating system in another slot. I guess you need a hacking receiver to open all of those encrypted feeds that are meticulously posted.

It is what it is...

12. Thanks ViP3R thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    You gotta' say one thing about OpenATV. Awesome out of box experience. I think stepping back a few is in order.
    Performance issues like scanning. Initial setup similar for all E2 images. But one thing is for sure.
    If you have a receiver with ATV running and slap the remote control next to your TV remote. There is little to no learning how to navigate through the array of buttons to get the most simple and straight forward things to happen.
    Not everyone jumping into the FTA thing will have had 17 receivers or tried the mess of E2 image incantations. I think "somebody" is missing that.
    The Germans are smart. And ergonomic.
    OpenATV gives you that. Performance issues aside. And bells and whistles. I believe that they still shun the main one thing that makes satellite TV fulfilling.
    Although it might appear that someone has perhaps made their own version of the ATV image. Maybe. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Here in the CONUS. For us at least. Blind scanning is important. Not so much for a noob maybe. I stick every single blindscan result that has new transponders in my satellites.xml file.
    And almost immediately when trying a new image. A backup of it gets stuck in tuxbox. And any other file system location that may contain it.
    Why in the heck spend all of that time doing a repeat blindscan when you do try or happen to use ViX, TNAP.....? Well?

And since the subject was ATV. Being out of box friendly. A dude in another site was touting PureE2. ViX is my every day image now. I like it. The other 3 slots are loaded with.....
    OpenATV 7-something, TNAP-whenever-I-used-it-last, and nothing. Blank.

If an E2 image has me hunting for buttons. Hitting Help for a keymap layout (ViX kinda' dropped the ball). If I may be so blunt. It gets shitcanned.
    You know what is missing from PureE2? A rusty coathanger. You make what you want of that one.
    Complicated Kodi-ish clone. And the touter of it ranting that you have to "learn it and forget what you've used".
    BS. If I turn on der hot vasser. I vant hot vasser. Not a Heineken that's been in the sun for a week. Channel UP should give you the next channel up. Not a headache.
    Punching Video better not give me Ren and Stimpy reruns.
    The bin.

Christ. A Sony in the living room. A Visio in the bedroom. An old DLP with a color wheel-a-spinnin' in the garage. Turn it on. Choose a channel (easily and the same on each single one). And hopefully you catch the very, VERY tail end of the Taylor Swift halftime show on the game. On purpose!
    Lol!!
    Kirk out.