Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Ricks has a post of possible AAC issues that a chinabox handles well. Any insight on this and other formats?
    I have no clue.

Where is a SF8008 Supreme thread at Rick's saying the SF8008 Supreme has (ANY) issues? About the only thing posted at Rick's is feeds. Almost everything else either gets deleted or edited.

You can't check or test something without knowing what you are looking for.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. Thought you're taking it through the wringer. I trust your findings and opinions before committing to grab one.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The SF8008 Is Not Identical to the SF8008 Supreme. Your linked thread is about SF8008.

To go a bit further:
    105w has over 1000 radio listings and at times has had 2-3 thousand radio listings. Some of these radio listings are active 24/7, but most are not. Actually, most of these listings are audio feeds. The audio channels are in more than one format and include AAC.

Most FTA receivers made in the past ten years have AAC audio capability. For some reason, someone decided the channels that should play on 105w, but would not play were all AAC audio. So it was decided the problem was AAC. NONE of this is True!

Some of the audio channels on 105w were examined years ago by a developer when work was being done on Edision receivers. It was concluded that AAC was not the problem because some other types of audio Besides AAC would not play. Some fta receivers that would not play the AAC audio on 105w could play AAC audio on other satellites/transponders.

The real problem on 105w with the radio channels is the way they are presented to the receiver. Some fta receivers can play the radio channels on 105w and some can't. A solution on how to fix it was not found by the developer that checked it.

Octagon seems to be nothing but a distributor. They buy fta receivers in bulk and resell them. I don't think Octagon has any "In House" developers because every time something has been broken in the past, someone else besides Octagon fixed it. The low symbol rate thingy in the SF8008 Supreme is a perfect example of Octagon not being able to fix something. If/when the low symbol rate problem is fixed, I expect you will also magically see it fixed in other similar receiver brands too.

Anyway, there is a White Sox game tonight. We will see if the feed in your linked thread becomes active.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    105W-4170-4074-Vertical-APID-5413 Is active.
    Service Name = Chicago White Sox
    The receivers I have checked to see if this audio channel will play are:
    Octagon SF8008 = Yes
    Octagon SF8008 Supreme = Yes
    Edision MIO 4K = Yes.

No worries though. Octagon will be asked to fix something that works! ( They weren't going to do anything about it anyway. )
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for pulling out the thread Photoman76!

I'll ask Octagon about it again.

Rick
    To be fair, The White Sox audio channel may not play in the Octagon using Define image. And to be fair again, SF8008 drivers were updated to include the Supreme in the first month of 2024. Still though, someone should check to see if the SF8008 worked. Rick seems more interested in selling receivers than getting them to work properly. Can't really blame him. $$$

5. Thanks Megatron817, ArloG thanked for this post
  6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would it have to do with the term ACM/VCM?
    Where other receivers back when the mio4k was released could not receive the radio channels. The mio did it with flying colors.
    How was the game?

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    ACM and VCM are modes (Read Link)

The audio channels on 105w c band and also the audio of some of the ku satellites has been a problem in some fta receivers for years. Both MPEG and AAC audios have given problems on 105w c band. There has always been something that could not be received or would not play on a given fta receiver.

Dunno about the game as I did not listen to it or watch it. But the White Sox audio definitely works on the Sf8008 Supreme and SF8008 using TNAP5.1 images.

8. Thanks ArloG thanked for this post
    Likes ArloG liked this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Octagon has their own image or firmware or operating system called Define. Define in simple terms seems to be an antique enigma2 image that has been updated somewhat. Regardless of what it is, Define is a stripped version for a FTA receiver and cannot handle more than one satellite tuner. This means the Supreme can only use One tuner when running the Define operating system.

Octagon's Define does have some Plugins or apps that may be useful to someone. For my uses though Define is a junk system only worthy of a passing glance. My personal preference is a FTA receiver to be a FTA receiver, and Not some half-baked media box alongside a poor performing FTA system which to me is what Define is.

Here are some Define Menus:

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been examining FTA operating systems, firmware's, images, or whatever else you want to call them for over 20 years. I find it interesting as to how things are put together both in software and hardware. So it is a given that this Define operating system would be examined.

The file structure for Define is similar to TNAP5.1 enigma2 or really any current enigma2 image. Except the Define operating system is stripped with many things missing or set to run automatically. Part of the user data, or some things we would expect to find in /etc/enigma2 is shown here:

And of course Dual satellite.xml files

The Octagon Define has pretty much everything you would find in a cheap fta satellite box. The satellites.xml has not been updated in years as can be seen by looking at the c band transponder frequencies. No surprises here.

11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Digging a little deeper, we find the Octagon Define is a hacker system, complete with key files!

Keys....Keys....Keys... I wonder what Mr. Rick Caylor has been doing with those keys???? Hmmm...

In all fairness, this Supreme FTA receiver did not come from Rick Caylor, but this Define system was loaded from recovery menu in the receiver. So what he sells can have the same thing if it is not installed already.

I am always amazed at what can be found when digging through FTA satellite System files.

This completes my tour of the Octagon Define ---eh Whatever you want to call it. The Define slot 3 will be emptied as I have no need for such a system. Dual tuners, but Define only allows one...etc...etc. Comical stuff though.

12. Likes ViP3R liked this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    What images are pre installed?
    The file system of an E2 receiver can be fun to ponder. Looking through the Python files and making occasional changes to pee around. Learning that a new one is created after doing so.
    With a full backup of a working and stable system. No harm, no foul.
    Discovering bells and whistles here and there. Kind of diversifies watching people circling a rock and monotonic book readers mumbling stuff you'll never understand nor desire to. Right!