Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    No! But now that you bring that up for future reference how do you test a switch for operability?

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    LNBF's are LNBF's. You can take a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of ku lnbf's, and probably get different results of some type out of half of them. About all you can do is pick one and buy it. LNB's usually provide better performance, but they cost a lot more money. A 1759 l.o. lnb does not cover below 11700 MHz. Depends on what satellites you can get on whether you would notice this or not. The difference between a lnb and lnbf is the lnb does not have the feed built into it. LNB's are usually commercial and lnbf's are for the homeowner.

A switch can be tested to a degree with a voltmeter or milliamp meter. The best way to test a switch without using any test equipment is to remove the switch from the system and replace it with a barrel connector, then see if the lost signal returns. For my uses, I have found it is best to avoid using 22KHz switches.

3. Thanks WilburSmith thanked for this post
  4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Keith Thanks again for the input! I assumed per your instructions that both can be universal LNBs so long as I make the settings you noted. This time my 99 dish pulled in everything it could see. The motorized dish was a no go.

Just to be clear. can 1 LNB be a universal and the other one like this one ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) or must BOTH universal lnbs be removed entirely from this scenario?

Thanks!

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tested with my miltimeter and it appears to be ok.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is the correct LNB that you need, but if you use it, again, you have to set up the Universal with a LO of 10600 on the 22 KHZ port. If you want to scan the lower half of the Universal as well (for example, on your motorized dish, such as 34.5w) then you have a problem, because you can't when using a 22 KHZ switch. You would need a diseqc switch to accomplish that.

When I have used a Universal LNB with a 22 KHZ switch, I have had it as a LO of 10600, and on the 22 KHZ port (as I mentioned in my above post). I have also had one when I only wanted to scan the lower band, so have had it with a LO of 9750 on the 0 KHZ port.
    AZBox Ultra HD, Amiko Mini HD265 + Amiko 8x1, 4x1 DiSEqC, 22KHz switches
    80cm: 30w, 34.5w / 80cm: 117w, 123w / 80cm: 97w, 103w, 110w / 80cm: 99w, 105w / 75e: 87w, 91w, 97w / 60e: 101w / 60e: 125w, 129w / 60e: 107.3W, 111.1W (Shaw Direct)
    Avatar: 2008 setup 61.5w, 72w or 74w (selectable), 79w, 87w

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Brannen View Post
    That is the correct LNB that you need, but if you use it, again, you have to set up the Universal with a LO of 10600 on the 22 KHZ port. If you want to scan the lower half of the Universal as well (for example, on your motorized dish, such as 34.5w) then you have a problem, because you can't when using a 22 KHZ switch. You would need a diseqc switch to accomplish that.

When I have used a Universal LNB with a 22 KHZ switch, I have had it as a LO of 10600, and on the 22 KHZ port (as I mentioned in my above post). I have also had one when I only wanted to scan the lower band, so have had it with a LO of 9750 on the 0 KHZ port.

With my motorized dish I'm currently using USALS to jump from sat to sat. El bandido suggested earlier that using a diseqc switch will allow me to keep using my usals settings. My next questions, based on what you stated above is:

1) If I just get a diseqc switch can I still keep using both universal lnbs?
    2) if no to #1, can I keep one univeral lnb and just buy this one: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    3) Will a new diseqc switch allow me to scan both the upper and lower bands of a universal lnb on both dishes ? If so, does this mean the stb settings are configured once and no further adjustments will be required?

The ideal situation would be to get a diseqc switch. Keep using USALS to move my dish. And not having to worry about which halfs of the spectrum I'm able to scan. It seems from what I'm learning and what is being suggested this is the case.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I run is universal lnbs on multiple dishes.
    Understand what is happening in the receiver and things might make sense.

The receiver works on a set of frequencies that may be referred to as the IF or Line frequency(s). This set of frequencies, more or less is: 950-2150 MHz. Everything else is a conversion of these frequencies.

A KU universal lnb has two l.o. frequencies of 9750 and 10600. The IF frequencies are converted up for ku.
    So we have:
    9750+ 950 = 10700 MHz. (This is as low as the universal lnb can go in frequency)
    9750 + 2150 = 11900 MHz (This is the highest possible frequency with 9750 l.o.)
    10600 + 950 = 11550 MHz (This is the lowest possible frequency with 10600 l.o.)
    10600 + 2150 = 12750 MHz (This is the highest possible frequency with universal lnb)

11700 Is the cutoff frequency frequency. This means that most fta receivers will automatically turn 22KHz tone ON when this frequency is reached during a scan or when a channel is changed that has this frequency --or higher. So 22KHz tone is automatically ON after 11700 MHZ.

Changing a lnb type to something besides Universal in a receiver's antenna settings menu will disable the automatic 22KHz tone switching. But you still have to set 22KHz tone to ON in antenna setup so the universal lnb will switch to the high 10600 l.o. frequency.

Enigma2 blindscan also recognizes universal lnb as that was the first and only lnb that was made for blindscan when it was first created for enigma2. So you have a High band and a low band - 2 step blindscan for universal lnb automatically built into enigma2 blindscan. Without getting into great detail, a 22KHz tone can cause problems in enigma2 blindscan. It is much better to use a diseqc switch to UN-complicate things. A 22KHz tone can be used if it is understood how it works in most receivers, both open and closed source, but a diseqc switch makes things much easier.

9. Thanks WilburSmith thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Brannen liked this post
  10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburSmith View Post
    With my motorized dish I'm currently using USALS to jump from sat to sat. El bandido suggested earlier that using a diseqc switch will allow me to keep using my usals settings. My next questions, based on what you stated above is:

1) If I just get a diseqc switch can I still keep using both universal lnbs?
    2) if no to #1, can I keep one univeral lnb and just buy this one: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    3) Will a new diseqc switch allow me to scan both the upper and lower bands of a universal lnb on both dishes ? If so, does this mean the stb settings are configured once and no further adjustments will be required?

The ideal situation would be to get a diseqc switch. Keep using USALS to move my dish. And not having to worry about which halfs of the spectrum I'm able to scan. It seems from what I'm learning and what is being suggested this is the case.
    Yes to both questions 1 and 3.
    AZBox Ultra HD, Amiko Mini HD265 + Amiko 8x1, 4x1 DiSEqC, 22KHz switches
    80cm: 30w, 34.5w / 80cm: 117w, 123w / 80cm: 97w, 103w, 110w / 80cm: 99w, 105w / 75e: 87w, 91w, 97w / 60e: 101w / 60e: 125w, 129w / 60e: 107.3W, 111.1W (Shaw Direct)
    Avatar: 2008 setup 61.5w, 72w or 74w (selectable), 79w, 87w

11. Thanks el bandido, WilburSmith thanked for this post
  12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Keith, Well that appears to be the ideal arrangement and with no down side. Why is the 22 switch even around if it has all these downsides ?

13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    All I run is universal lnbs on multiple dishes.
    Understand what is happening in the receiver and things might make sense.

The receiver works on a set of frequencies that may be referred to as the IF or Line frequency(s). This set of frequencies, more or less is: 950-2150 MHz. Everything else is a conversion of these frequencies.

A KU universal lnb has two l.o. frequencies of 9750 and 10600. The IF frequencies are converted up for ku.
    So we have:
    9750+ 950 = 10700 MHz. (This is as low as the universal lnb can go in frequency)
    9750 + 2150 = 11900 MHz (This is the highest possible frequency with 9750 l.o.)
    10600 + 950 = 11550 MHz (This is the lowest possible frequency with 10600 l.o.)
    10600 + 2150 = 12750 MHz (This is the highest possible frequency with universal lnb)

11700 Is the cutoff frequency frequency. This means that most fta receivers will automatically turn 22KHz tone ON when this frequency is reached during a scan or when a channel is changed that has this frequency --or higher. So 22KHz tone is automatically ON after 11700 MHZ.

Changing a lnb type to something besides Universal in a receiver's antenna settings menu will disable the automatic 22KHz tone switching. But you still have to set 22KHz tone to ON in antenna setup so the universal lnb will switch to the high 10600 l.o. frequency.

Enigma2 blindscan also recognizes universal lnb as that was the first and only lnb that was made for blindscan when it was first created for enigma2. So you have a High band and a low band - 2 step blindscan for universal lnb automatically built into enigma2 blindscan. Without getting into great detail, a 22KHz tone can cause problems in enigma2 blindscan. It is much better to use a diseqc switch to UN-complicate things. A 22KHz tone can be used if it is understood how it works in most receivers, both open and closed source, but a diseqc switch makes things much easier.
    I hate asking this question but where are you pulling all these numbers from? I get the 9750 and 10600 as this represents the highest to lowest frequencies that can be received thus making it a universal lnb but in between your adding 950,2150, to these numbers and I couldn't tell you why are where they come from? Mysterious...

If you got a link that explains I's appreciate reading up on what you are explaining as it went over my head.

By the way is the 'IF' above a type? I think your describing Line frequency which should be (LF) or am I wrong?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast