Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    WHY would you need an attenuator??? Sort of lost here....

2. Thanks armadillo_115 thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    WHY would you need an attenuator??? Sort of lost here....
    Some info such as the following makes me wonder if an lnb would be too strong for a TinySA. If I ever get one... don't want to fry it.

Code:
    https://tinysa.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Transmitters

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    dont hook the tiny sa to the lnd, just put on the rod or yagi antenna and look for interfering signal when your tv has noise or pixel artifacts.

5. Thanks el bandido, armadillo_115 thanked for this post
  6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mememeth. that will work for finding direction of RI.
    But, I was thinking of hooking the tinysa to the lnb on the bud to view the full spectrum received there as well.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    sing the tinysato look at / thru lnb ,you should usee a dr hd or birddog like item, they pass and or supply voltage to the lnb, useing tha tinysa ultra that way would let all the factory installed smoke out of it

8. Thanks armadillo_115 thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Connecting to an LNBF:
    Use a splitter rated 2GHz with one port power passing (or a 2 port power passing with a voltage block on one port). Connect the power passing leg to the STB to power the LNBF and select the polarity. Connect the non-power passing port to the Tiny SA. No need to attenuate as the internal attenuation should be fine. If you find the internal attenuator is not enough, there are some resellers on Amazon that package a selection of attenuator values or buy a step attenuator on Ebay or Amazon.

Personally, for signal sniffing, I use a 3+ element Yagi-Uda and 65dB step attenuator. Am attaching a photo of a set-up that I use for Fox Hunt signal tracking. An Arrow 3 element VHF Yagi-Uda, 65dB attenuator, Malchite SDR. For sniffing n77 signals, try a WiMax panel or Yagi, often found cheap at thrift stores and Ebay. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by Titanium; 01-03-2023 at 03:03 PM.

10. Thanks el bandido, armadillo_115, Megatron817, MikeB thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    Connecting to an LNBF:
    Use a splitter rated 2GHz with one port power passing (or a 2 port power passing with a voltage block on one port). Connect the power passing leg to the STB to power the LNBF and select the polarity. Connect the non-power passing port to the Tiny SA. No need to attenuate as the internal attenuation should be fine. If you find the internal attenuator is not enough, there are some resellers on Amazon that package a selection of attenuator values or buy a step attenuator on Ebay or Amazon....

Awesome!
    I already have a splitter set- up like that for running a receiver in loop-out, so no extra items needed there
    I don't foresee doing much signal sniffing... so being able to ALSO use the TinySA on my lnb's gives me more incentive to fork out the dough.

12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The price you see ($129.95) Is Not the price you pay.

Date Ordered: Tuesday 03 January, 2023

Products
    ------------------------------------------------------
    1 x JETSTREAM SMABNC (SMABNC) = $3.50
    1 x TINYSA TINYSAULTRA (TINYSAULTRA) = $129.95
    1 x JETSTREAM JT4120 (JT4120) = $3.95
    1 x JETSTREAM SMAUHF (SMAUHF) = $4.95
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub-Total: $142.35
    United States Postal Service (Priority MailĀ®): $11.00
    Sales Tax: $10.73
    Total: $164.08
    ***Shipping charges are only an estimate. If shipping is more, we will notify you before shipping***

13. Likes Titanium liked this post
  14. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tiny SA Ultra was delivered a couple of days ago. I think most people that purchase one of these analyzers will find it easy to use. I have a couple of log periodic (yagi) antennas that are laying in the floor. These antennas will be installed later, but I could use one on the Tiny SA if needed.

A quick test of three local cell towers shows a small group of signals in the 3.9 GHz range. These signals have been identified as coming from the cell towers by doing a simple drive test using a vertical antenna that came with the Tiny SA. Having a small analyzer like this to "see" things makes a World of difference!

A cell tower will be seen on the analyzer as a group of spikes that are spaced out across a given frequency range. I usually set the analyzer to scan from 600 MHZ to 5 GHz. When I find interesting signals, I cut the scan range. A tour of 3 cell towers showed about the same groups of signals, and all three cell towers have a group around 3.9 GHz, or 3900 MHz.

The Tiny SA does not have an easy way to do a screenshot, so I used a cell phone camera. Shown below is a group of spikes from a cell tower located around a Kilometer from my satellite dish for c band. This cell tower is within a couple degrees of due South. I have antennas aimed at this cell tower for my home internet. The Tiny SA was connected to one of these antennas when the photo shown below was taken. The signals around 3.9 GHz are about as strong as the rest of the signals coming from this cell tower. This is very interesting to me, and I would not have known about it except for the Tiny SA analyzer.

15. Thanks armadillo_115 thanked for this post
    Likes MikeB liked this post
  16. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    ....I have antennas aimed at this cell tower for my home internet. The Tiny SA was connected to one of these antennas when the photo shown below was taken. The signals around 3.9 GHz are about as strong as the rest of the signals coming from this cell tower. This is very interesting to me, and I would not have known about it except for the Tiny SA analyzer.

Did your home internet switch to that band?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast