1. Collapse Details
    Gigablue UHD Trio 4K Initial Thoughts Compared to Edision OS Mio+ 4K
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I own both the Gigablue UHD Trio 4K and the Edision OS Mio+ 4K satellite receiver. These are just quick first impressions. And a few specifications thrown in for good measure.

Overall build quality is excellent for both receivers. I do prefer the case and form factor on the
    Edision OS Mio+ better. The display on the Edision is OLED making it a nicer display. The OLED display can do alphanumerics, displaying channel names. The Gigablue only displays time and channel numbers. It might do alphanumeric symbols, but I see no setting for that or it is not programmed in system images I have tried.

The Gigablue UHD Trio 4K
    The Gigablue UHD Trio 4K has a fast Hi3798MV200 Quad Core 1.6 GHz processor, 1 GB DDR4 RAM and 8GB eMMC Flash. Standard multiboot and Webif intergration as well as remote programing via Gigablue app, WebiF, or programs like Dreamset make it easy to organize channels or rename them.

The Gigablue UHD Trio 4K has 2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 USB 3.0 port. The Gigablue UHD Trio 4K
    has a smart card slot and a SD card slot.

One DVB-2SX satellite tuner and one hybrid DVB-T2/T, DVB-C tuner.

Built in LAN 100 Mbps, but no WIFi. WiFi is optional.

Edision OS Mio+ 4K
    The Edision OS Mio+ has a Dual Core ARM at a processor speed of 1.5 GHz, 8GB eMMC/RAM 2GB DDR4 2400Mhz flash.

The Edision OS Mio+ has 1 DVB-S2X satellite tuner and 1 DVB-S2/T2/C satellite tuner. Two satellite tuners are nice, if you need that type of setup.

The Edision OS Mio+ has 2 x USB 2.0 ports. No USB 3.0 like the Gigablue. Smartcard reader is standard as well as built in LAN at 100Mbps. What sets the Edision above the Gigablue as far as connectivity is the Edision has built in WiFI and Bluetooth2.1/3.0/4.0 capabilities.

Standard multiboot and Webif intergration as well as remote programing via Edision app, WebiF, or programs like Dreamset make it easy to organize channels or rename them. However, I could not get the Edision app to work on an android 10 tablet.

Conclusion
    Both satellite receivers perform about the same. The Edision is more expensive, but has more features like WiFI, Bluetooth and two satellite tuners. They both display excellent picture quality.

I preferred the aluminum case on the Edision versus the cheaper feeling case on the Gigablue.
    The OLED display wins on the Edision too.

I like the dedicated on/off switch on the back of the Gigablue. I have not opened both receivers up to look at the circuit boards, but for now, I assume build quality on the boards are similar.

Loading images and menu structure is pretty much the same on both boxes. Out of the box the Gigablue has a menu option for OSCam’s/SoftCam’s. Of course the Edision can too, if you load the proper image.

I will have to do more testing, but on this informal test I found the Gigablue tuner more sensitive. Let me explain….Edision is hooked up to motor than motor connection to a dual Universal LNB. The Edision cable run (Quad shielded RG6) is the shortest run to box (30 feet). The Gigablue has a pretty long cable run (Quad shielded RG6) from 2nd output on Universal LNB to Gigablue box is about 100 feet from satellite dish. A tree is partially blocking Galaxy 19 at 97W at my location. Video from Edision tuner was pixelated on RT America and picture was unstable and unusable. However, video of RT America on the Gigablue receiver was clear and with no pixelization. Video of RT America was observed both on the Edision and the Gigablue at the same time.

I will have to test this video issue more. I have on occasion watched RT America on the Edision in the clear, but I did not own the Gigablue receiver at that time to compare.

So I’m not sure what to make of this finding. Like I said, it was a quick test as of yesterday and I did not have time to explore this issue. Could be the tuners or the way the processors handle the decoding. Really not sure yet, but it could have been some strange fluke... More testing will be done at a later time.

I have had no other tuner issues with the Edision. All other satellites are in the clear and video quality is excellent on all my other channels.

I like both boxes. They sound and look great. Programming is really the same on both the Edision and Gigablue. I like the feel and operation of the Gigablue remote control better. It’s modern looking and sleek. The Edision remote control feels and looks cheap. However, they both do their job as expected. The Edision remote has dedicated buttons for Samsung an LG Tv’s. That’s a nice touch. Both remotes are Universal remotes and can be programmed.

I wanted to try the Gigablue receiver and it did not disappoint. Both receivers have North American satellite lists installed on all images I tested. Blindscans on both boxes were similar. Video quality on both receivers are excellent. Sound output on Edision was a bit lower, but that could be related to using different TV brand on the Edision vs the Gigablue.

Overall, I would choose the Edision OS Mio+ 4K if I needed another box. Built in WIFI, dual satellite tuners, alphanumeric OLED display, case aesthetics and form factor make it my first choice of receivers.

2. Thanks el bandido, Megatron817, eastof111, ViP3R thanked for this post
    Likes el bandido, Megatron817, MikeB, mr3p liked this post
  3. Collapse Details
    GigaBlue Trio Cost
    Post Thanks / Like
    Addendum

I recently purchased the GigaBlue UHD Trio 4K from Amazon's Germany website.
    I have noticed that prices do fluctuate up and down. My price was on the low side.

Prices for items sold by Amazon include VAT.
    Total cost to me shipped and taxes paid was $115.78. Shipping was fast and by DHL.

Also, the power adapter is built to handle USA standards but you will need a European to US plug adapter.
    About $4.

4. Thanks ViP3R, el bandido, eastof111 thanked for this post
    Likes mr3p liked this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great review. The Gigablue Trio 4k tuner configuration appears to match up with Mio 4k. Is Hi3798MV200 capable of decoding 4:2:2?
    Last edited by mr3p; 01-04-2022 at 02:10 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Checking the data sheet, I do not believe it does.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Gigablue Trio 4k Is almost identical to the Ustym 4K PRO or the Octagon SF8008. The file structures are almost identical and the kernel/linux distribution seems to be Exactly identical. This also means that these three receivers will have the same problems or bugs. All the manufacturer did was change the labels and perhaps a few cosmetic differences in the cases of these three receivers. The small differences in the receiver's enigma2 operating system will keep the images from these three receivers from being interchangeable. The enigma2 images can be modified to run on different brands, but there would not be much reason to do that with these three.

There is always an advantage in signal reception when comparing a single tuner to a dual tuner receiver. This may explain why the signal on the GigaBlue seems to be a bit better on the GigaBlue Trio as compared to the Edision Mio4K+. Overall, the GigaBlue Trio should be a nice addition, but whatever is broken on it or does not work will probably stay that way. There is no manufacturer support for this receiver, plus it has been on the market for some time. Anyway, the GigaBlue Trio is still a good fta receiver to have.

8. Thanks Megatron817 thanked for this post