Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    It would be nice if you posted a note in the "where to buy" section so others will know how you were treated.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will do. Have to make time to test it, first, though. It's still in the box.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally had time to unbox and set up my Vu+ Zero 4k. (It's raining so I had to stop digging).

First impression: awful. It came loaded with something it called 2017-something]-vu-experimental with satellites ranging from 0E to 58W and did not allow editing of any part of the list. My mistake -- I should have chosen the offered option to install the latest build of one of the open systems instead of "factory default".

(My other mistake when I ordered was forgetting about power. Fortunately, the power supply tolerates 100 - 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, so I just had to order an adapter from the twin prong German plug to US receptacle.)

I downloaded openpli-6.2-release-vuzero4k-20180618_usb.zip but something went wrong with the download, so I grabbed openpli-6.2-release-vuzero4k-20180611_usb.zip and that unzipped. Copied the vuplus directory to the root of a no-name, 2G, FAT16 USB key (read later that it's supposed to be FAT32 and 4G or larger). Plugged that into the Vu+ and turned it on. After giving it 5 or 10 minutes of blinking, I decided it was probably bricked, so shut it off, removed the key and turned it back on. It appears to work.

My test setup is weird. My dish is a 10ft Channelmaster mesh C/Ku feeding an Icecrypt S3750CHD. (el bandido, you didn't yell your warning loud enough to save me from buying that thing). From there, a coax feeds C-band, at whatever position and polarity chosen at the house, to the garage. That's where I'm testing the Vu+ Zero 4k. The HDMI out from the Vu goes to a HDMI to VGA converter and thence to a brain-damaged ViewSonic monitor. That monitor has a DVI input, but so far has only tolerated HDMI-to-DVI from a Homeworx ATSC receiver.

The Vu+ Zero 4k is currently displaying the Movies channel on 101W / 3961V / 2734. I haven't yet done a blind scan; that transponder was already in the newly installed openplix. Not quite sure how I got to this point, but it didn't take long after fiddling within the menus. It's a keeper, now.

4. Thanks mengram, el bandido, Megatron817, eastof111 thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to know the receiver is working! Congratulations on the successful purchase and installation.

Vu+ ships with an open source image, which is not suitable for hacking as Digitaldan from Manhattan claims. Information on how to properly flash the Zero 4K is in this thread: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Ebay has been a good source for power supplies for me. The Zero 4K runs on 12 volts dc, but it has a different plug than my other 12 volt receivers have.

The Icecrypt S3750CHD can run enigma2 image, and two enigma2 receivers on the same network can share many things including channels. It is not hard to remotely move the satellite dish on enigma2 receivers, so you may want to consider running the Icecrypt S3750CHD on enigma2 at some point in time.

Ordering a receiver with the image pre-loaded will not help much because it will usually be set up for Europe. I customize the blindscan plugin and other parts of enigma2. Will be glad to make these customized images available to anyone that needs them.

6. Thanks Megatron817, termite, eastof111, ViP3R thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that info, el bandido! I don't yet have ethernet to my garage, but will. I hadn't even considered the possibility of the Icecrypt and Vu+ communicating over the network. That will be especially handy during football season.

The 6.2 release includes a few nice plugins. I tried out the media player and discovered that it plays oggs just fine. None of my other receivers or tv have ever recognized that file format. When trying the picture viewer, it displayed the directory tree for me to browse through looking for images. Man, it was good to see that familiar list of directories! Felt like home.

8. Thanks el bandido, ViP3R thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been following this thread, I have decided to order a zero 4k
    What is the best image that comes with blind scan or a custom image with it.

10. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    In no particular order, SatdreamGr, OpenPLi, OpenVix, OpenATV are all popular images. I prefer SatDreamGr and OpenPLi images because they are easy for me to modify.
    For blindscan OpenPLi and most images based on OpenPLi will require you to download and install the blindscan plugin. This is no big deal, and it is easy to do.

I will be glad to help you if needed on getting started. I would also suggest trying several different images and see which one you like the best.

Welcome to Legit! EB

12. Thanks ViP3R, zonetech1961 thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zonetech1961 View Post
    I've been following this thread, I have decided to order a zero 4k
    What is the best image that comes with blind scan or a custom image with it.
    You found the place for help here at legit-fta. EB knows this stuff.
    I like openpli or satdreagr for ease of use. The others I tried were harder to find options in the menus so I just went back to openpli.
    I will say Read some old posts here at this forum about enigma2 they may answer some of your questions about what is needed to get started.

14. Thanks ViP3R, zonetech1961, rrob311 thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too am a fan of SatdreamGr.... been using it in flash for a few years. If there is ever a hiccup with the latest version, athoik at SDG will usually help and rectify the problem within a day or two. And of course, should you have a blindscan or other problem, EB will always come through with assistance.

When I have the time, I enjoy checking out other images which I have loaded in openmultiboot on a usb stick, but since I don't use the Zero, I can't vouch for it.

Enjoy your fta!
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks zonetech1961 thanked for this post
  17. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replys, I hope it gets here soon
    How do You use multiboot, does it come standard on the image, or is it plugin also