Octagon recently released the SX88 fta receiver. This is an entry level receiver with a closed source Linux operating system. The Octagon SX88 has a very good and accurate blindscan, and its tuner is very sensitive. Low symbol rate transponders are not an issue with this receiver.

The Menus for the SX88 are laid out in an easy way, and they should be familiar to anyone that has had an Openbox or other Ali type receiver. The motor controls need some work as the diseqc 1.2 positions are hard coded to the satellite number. I have made a complaint about this, and will see if anything gets done about it. The motor also moves every time a different satellite is selected in the antenna setup menu, and this is another thing I would like to see fixed.

The Octagon SX88 has several media capabilities such as IPTV, and includes a version of Kodi. I have not checked any of the media features to see what they do or how they function. The media does give the box other options, and would be great for someone that cannot get a lot of satellites, or for someone with fast Internet connection.

Tthe SX88 is a great basic receiver and find it fun to play with. The small size of the SX88, and the infrared extension allow the SX88 to be mounted behind the tv or in another unseen location. The SX88 is about the same size or dimensions as a notebook hard drive. I find this receiver runs only warm, and does not get hot as long as there is no more than about 400 milliamps being drawn from the lnb output. I tested the lnb output at approximately 500 milliamps for 1 hour, and noticed the receiver got a bit warmer than I would like. Overall, this is a great little receiver. I will add more information about this receiver as it becomes available.

Here are a couple of blindscan videos.