Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Hi Elbandido,

There is a big list of improvements and enhancements for the SX88, the manufacturer is doing his best to provide all of them. The SX88 concept is very different than E2 or any other box, a few things might seem very easy in theory but dont forget that OS and hardware have limitations. One limitation as an example, E2 doesn't support T2-MI, multistream in database. Anyhow, your request to export from SX88 and import sat data into E2 boxes is on that list and waiting to be reviewed.
    Last edited by Species; 11-21-2017 at 06:23 AM.

2. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The worst issues for this box in North America will be the diseqc 1.2 motor positions being automatically assigned by the receiver, and the receiver automatically calling the motor every time a satellite is selected in the sat list. (See Attached)
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As an example, let's say I want to edit the 107.3W satellite in the attached screencap.
    I have a ku motor installed for all the satellites between 99.2W, and 107.3W. I also have a diseqc 1,2 positioner for the c band satellites for all the satellites between 99.2W and 107.3W. The ku motor will try to move to every satellite as I scroll down to edit 107.3W, and the c band positioner will try to move to every satellite between 99.2W and 107.3W. This motor movement is unwanted and unneeded! Having the receiver set like this adds much wear and tear to the dish motors!

On another note, recent changes to the Octagon SF4008 firmware or image allows the SX88 to blindscan for it. Both the SX88 and the SF4008 use the same type of satellites.xml file. Recent changes to the SF4008 allows the satellites.xml file to be used in either of these receivers.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other countries and locations should be added for the weather plugin.

Here is a list of what is currently available:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <cityzipcode>
    <zipcode city="Berlin" zipcode="638242" province="Berlin" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Hamburg" zipcode="656958" province="Hamburg" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Munich" zipcode="676757" province="Bavaria" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Cologne'k" zipcode="667931" province="North Rhine-Westphalia" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Frankfurt" zipcode="650272" province="Hesse" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Essen" zipcode="648820" province="North Rhine-Westphaliat" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Dortmund" zipcode="24550058" province="North Rhine-Westphalia" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Stuttgart" zipcode="698064" province="Baden-Wurttemberg" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Duesseldorf" zipcode="646099" province="North Rhine-Westphalia" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Bremen'" zipcode="641142" province="Bremen" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Duisburg" zipcode="925669" province="645877" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Hanover" zipcode="657169" province="Lower Saxony" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Nuremberg" zipcode="680564" province="Bavaria" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Leipzig" zipcode="671072" province="Saxony" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    <zipcode city="Dresden" zipcode="645686" province="Saxony" country="Germany" referencenum="0"/>
    </cityzipcode>
    Being able to select Fahrenheit or Celsius values would also be nice.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Firmware updates for the SX88 are not really fixing anything for the fta crowd. The attached screencap shows the available online updates since October and what they have fixed. It looks like the motor controls and other items for fta are being ignored. Most likely, What you see is what you get. I will be surprised if much else is done to the SX88 motor controls and other fta issues.

This is a great box for subscription service, Internet service, or fixed satellite service. The SX88 is too hard on motorized satellite antenna systems in its present form or with current firmware.

6. Thanks jdelanos73, eastof111 thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The SX88 likes to assign channel names as ch1,ch2,ch3...etc. Enigma2 receivers will usually add the transponder or something else to keep from haveing a bunch of ch1's,ch2's and ch3's in a satellite list.

Here is how the SX88 lists the free tv channels on 105W & 99W c band.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] ......[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

We can use the channels from the SF4008, or most any other enigma2 receiver in the SX88 by transferring the lamedb file.

Here is the SX88 with the same two satellites using the lamedb channel file from my SF4008.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]......[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

There is no danger of bricking the SX88 or the enigma2 receiver. The SX88 will throw the file out if it has mistakes. The closed sourced receivers that are common in North America will lock-up or brick when a channel file is installed that the receiver does not like or want. The SX88 does not have this problem.

Recent changes to the Octagon SF4008 allow the satellites file and the channel file from the SX88 to be transferred and used in the SF4008. So the SX88 can blindscan for the SF4008 in a round about way...

8. Thanks jdelanos73, ViP3R thanked for this post
    Likes eastof111 liked this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello EB
    Thanks for this information, I been using a plugin call( Channels Importer) not all images have it but OPEN ATV has it, I have this plugin install on the octagon SF4008, I use the scan channels from the VU+ and import them to the Octagon , It works well.
    Can you use any lamedb file from other receivers? what is the process to do this transfer?
    Let us know.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards.
    Chewie

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the easiest way right now to insert a lamedb file for channels in the SX88 is to use DreamboxEDIT. Install the latest version of this program and configure it to your SX88 receiver. Use the ftp option, and get files from the SX88. Then replace the lamedb in the SX88 files with the one you want to use. then ftp the files back to the box. Either remove power from the box, or open a telnet terminal using root as username, and sky1122 for a password to connect to the SX88. then type reboot in the telnet terminal.

The SX88 is not real user friendly for these types of files transfers. Using FileZilla or similar has led to failed lamedb transfers for me. DrteamboxEDIT I think is the best way right now to transfer a lamedb file into the SX88. I have not been able to lock-up, brick, or make the SX88 become useless by transferring satellite.xml and lamedb files to it. The SX88 will simply reject a file that is not configured correctly and restart or reboot when a bad file is put into it.

Terrestrial ATSC Note:
    It is OK to leave terrestrial ATSC in the lamedbb file that is being installed in the SX88. The ATSC terrestrial channels are automatically deleted by the SX88

Using the lamedb file from the Octagon SX88, and into the Octagon SF4008 is easier. Take the lamedb5 file from the SF4008, open it with notepad, delete all information, then save (Do Not Use 'save as"). Install the blank lamedb5 file along with the Octagon SX88 lamedb file into the SF4008.
    Last edited by el bandido; 12-16-2017 at 09:14 PM.

11. Thanks eastof111, ViP3R thanked for this post
  12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info EB.

13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like

A suggestion has been made to put a delay of the motor movement of around a half-second when you are changing between satellites in the SAT list menu. The current setup makes the dish motor move for every satellite that is assigned a dish motor as you scroll through the SAT list. This is terribly hard on the motor.

Probably a good acceptable fix will be NOT to allow the motor to move until the cursor is on the Antenna settings side of the menu in the above screencap. It stands to reason that if the cursor is on the Antenna settings side, then you are wanting to edit or change something for that satellite, and the motor can also be automatically moved to it.

Diseqc 1.2 motor positions also need to be set by the user, and NOT automatically assigned by the receiver.

14. Thanks jdelanos73 thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I decided the rs232 connection could lead to some easier file transfers, and it did. But they are all .bin files, so we cannot use rs232 to download data base or other files from the SX88 and easily alter or use them.

Seems though there is a decent recovery that can be done with rs232. Information for getting a loader can be found in the rs232 debug file or in the rs232 output. There is a Denys receiver that seems almost identical to the SX88, and there are recovery files for it.

I did not try to load any recovery or other files into the SX88 using rs232. Seems I have everything I need, but if I have the wrong boot file or if I am wrong about how the box loads using rs232, then I could brick it. Would be nice if Octagon would supply us a recovery file or recovery files for the SX88.

The biggest trick is finding a suitable rs232 cable for the SX88. No information about a cable is available, so I had to find one. There are two ways you could connect to a rs232 serial port using the SX88. You could use a female db9 plug wired to a 3.5mm phone jack, and connect directly to the computer's serial port. The diagram for this plug is pictured.

Another possibility is to use a male db9 plug, and use a null cable to connect the male db9 to the computer's serial. This is the route I chose, and the correct cable for this can be seen and purchased in the link.

The correct pinout for this cable if you built it would be: DB9 Pin 3 to 3.5mm Tip; DB9 Pin 2 to 3.5mm Ring; DB9 Pin 5 to 3.5mm Sleeve
    The correct connector for the SX88 is a male 3.5mm stereo jack.

The SX88 would be a great receiver for me if the motor controls can be fixed, and if there is an easier way to transfer and install channel or satellite files.

It would also be nice if Octagon would supply the proper files for complete rs232 recovery.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast