I decided the rs232 connection could lead to some easier file transfers, and it did. But they are all .bin files, so we cannot use rs232 to download data base or other files from the SX88 and easily alter or use them.

Seems though there is a decent recovery that can be done with rs232. Information for getting a loader can be found in the rs232 debug file or in the rs232 output. There is a Denys receiver that seems almost identical to the SX88, and there are recovery files for it.

I did not try to load any recovery or other files into the SX88 using rs232. Seems I have everything I need, but if I have the wrong boot file or if I am wrong about how the box loads using rs232, then I could brick it. Would be nice if Octagon would supply us a recovery file or recovery files for the SX88.

The biggest trick is finding a suitable rs232 cable for the SX88. No information about a cable is available, so I had to find one. There are two ways you could connect to a rs232 serial port using the SX88. You could use a female db9 plug wired to a 3.5mm phone jack, and connect directly to the computer's serial port. The diagram for this plug is pictured.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Another possibility is to use a male db9 plug, and use a null cable to connect the male db9 to the computer's serial. This is the route I chose, and the correct cable for this can be seen and purchased in the link.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The correct pinout for this cable if you built it would be: DB9 Pin 3 to 3.5mm Tip; DB9 Pin 2 to 3.5mm Ring; DB9 Pin 5 to 3.5mm Sleeve
The correct connector for the SX88 is a male 3.5mm stereo jack.

The SX88 would be a great receiver for me if the motor controls can be fixed, and if there is an easier way to transfer and install channel or satellite files.

It would also be nice if Octagon would supply the proper files for complete rs232 recovery.