Interesting threads on this and other sites about the modifications that el bandido was performing on his ASC1, observations and comments about the product. I am participating in this thread to support the ASC1 product and to get input on next generation development. I will do my best to answer any questions and provide information that will be helpful in the operation and any custom modifications that you wish to perform. I think that it is very cool that you have used the ASC1 as the basis to build a better mousetrap! Myself and few other hobbyists have modded ASC1s for dual axis, Arduino/RSP control, etc.

There have been several hardware versions of the ASC1 main PCB that have been produced during three manufacturing runs. I made and/or approved component changes in these revisions. You are correct to observe that the relays are rated 10a at 30v and the specification sheet still lists the rating from the original design. I will reflect this correction in the product listings and the spec sheets in the upcoming weeks. This error was my oversight and I will thoroughly review the text and specs for accuracy. Most important to me is that these 30v 10a relays rating remained within the product specifications and provide reliable performance. With several thousand ASC1 units sold, relay failure has been an extremely rare occurrence.

The original text provided that I provided to the resellers for product descriptions in early 2014 incorrectly stated 38V @ 5A. We made several changes to the hardware and coding as we originally had ramped in/out the M1/M2 voltage in an attempt to minimize actuator/mount wear. We were not satisfied with the performance of the actuator ramping so eliminated the function and set the maximum voltage to 36Vdc. This descriptive text was changed and revised text provided to the resellers in Q3 2014 to reflect the 36V Max and 5A Max as it has always been printed on the product spec sheet and on the giftbox. I had decided that the description should reflect similar language that is used with other controllers and legacy IRD sales materials. A reseller shared the observation of 36v @ 5A to my attention last month and I knew that this text was wrong and should no longer have been used in the description. We noted two product listings (including my own Ebay listing and the reseller's site listing) still included the original incorrect descriptive text. I believe that all ASC1 listings now include the correct language providing the Maximum Voltage 36Vdc and Maximum Amperage 5A.

The wiring inside the ASC1 housing is routed and several of the potentially interactive pairs are twisted to prevent interaction between various circuits. There is no need for shielded cables inside the case for the sensor circuit as the low frequency (> 100hz) coupling would not occur on these short jumpers with separated wire routes. It is always recommended to use shielded wiring for the sensor and (if used) servo distribution. Unshielded distribution might be an option for short cabe runs, but will be a problem as the length increases. I have found that beyond 25-35' satellite systems often experience movement errors unless shielded distribution is used. It is best practice to connect the shield at the controller GND terminal and leave open on the dish side.

Just a thought about count issues with the upgraded SMTP switching power supply installed in el bandido's ASC1. I had originally tested several switching power supplies on the pre-production builds, but was not satisfied with the RF noise they introduced to the system. After testing several SMTP PS models, I instead opted for a linear supply that I believe to be more robust, reliable and less prone to introducing noise. Has the upgraded SMTP PS been tested for noise which could be masking sensor counts? Also, the increased power in the distribution wiring and to the motor may result in increased coupling or motor noise. It would be interesting to observe on a scope the SMTP PS interaction with the ASC1 hardware, system components and distribution. el bandido, do you have interest the capability to capture and share scope testing?

The reasoning behind the ASC1 providing LNB power is that LNBs are designed to operate on 15-23Vdc, but STBs polarity switch between 13 and 18Vdc. The low voltage in the vertical polarity setting reduces performance on most LNBs. If I was to get a do over on the ASC1 LNB power, I would add one more setting, LNB power Loop-Through to provide one more option for the diversity of users and their wants/needs.

I look forward to participating in an exchange that will improve our product and assist ASC1 users with operation of their systems. As always. I am available to discuss any observations, concerns or suggestions via phone, email or on the forums.