Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Driver updates were made last week for the 4008 that included ci improvements. I did not bother to load it. Last time I checked, tuner a would not receive 16apsk signals, but tuner b would receive 16apsk signals. Would like to see both tuners perform the same. Still no word on when or if Kodi will be finished, and after some 7 months of waiting, it appears that it could take 7 more months for Kodi to be finished. Then the work on blindscan can start after Kodi which may take several more months. So it could easily be well into 2018 before blindscan is released at the rate things are progressing.

I understand Rick Caylor will start selling the Octagon in the next week or two. The Octagon will be listed on his website once it becomes available which is here:[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Satshop.fi in Finland will also have the Octagon Sf4008 soon, and they are located here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I would suggest buying the SF4008 from Rick Caylor as long as his price is reasonable.

It would be hard for me to recommend the SF4008 in its present state. I have other good Linux enigma2 receivers that can blindscan, and the only real thing the Octagon has to offer me right now are a few 4K channels. It is just really not much of a box upgrade for me unless it can blindscan, but it is fine for watching tv and it does have a great picture. For someone that has a decent enigma2 receiver, purchasing the Octagon Sf4008 would not gain them much. But someone purchasing the Octagon as a first enigma2 receiver would probably realize many benefits as compared to most closed source fta receivers.

We can expect some more new receivers to be announced within two months, and possibly to be available before Christmas. Soon it will be August, and December will not be that far away. If I did not already own the SF4008, I would be in no hurry to buy one until some improvements were made. Hopefully things will change soon, but I amt not holding my breath now after some 7 months of waiting. EB

2. Thanks easily confused, mountaineer, eastof111, ViP3R thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kodi Beta release planned for next week.

[/video]

4. Thanks ViP3R thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    16APSK will play on tuner B, but will not play on tuner A.

AAC radio stations at6 105W c band will not play on my Octagon.

Recordings of the full transponder(s) will probably be needed in order for these issues to be fixed. Octagon does not have access to 16APSK channels, or our radio channels. So a full stream recording will be the only way these problems can be fixed.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

6. Thanks ViP3R thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did some Service Scan comparisons using the Octagon SF4008 and the dual DVB-S2 tuner Edision OS Mini. I used tuner B on both receivers for this test, and used the exact same antenna, and the exact same coax or feedline to the lnb. The SF4008 does not have blindscan yet, so we cannot test that. However, we can see how fast the SF4008 can scan a set of transponders for channels. The exact same satellite.xml file was used in both receivers.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

8. Thanks rrob311, eastof111, ViP3R, mountaineer, sideswiper thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pros and cons and preference?

10. Thanks mountaineer thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pros and cons and preference? Of what? Sorry, but I do not understand what you are asking.

12. Thanks mountaineer thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Octagon SF4008 and the dual DVB-S2 tuner Edision OS Mini.

14. Thanks ViP3R, mountaineer thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a nutshell, My Octagon SF4008 is not used most of the time because it has no internal tuner DVB-S/S2 blindscan. It would most likely be my main receiver if it had that feature. Overall, the SF4008 is probably a better receiver than the OS Mini. The SF4008 has more options and features than the OS Mini. But the SF4008 is just not a finished product yet, and it will probably be several more months before internal tuner blindscan is added and other small things are fixed. Recently there has been progress with Kodi and the SF4008, but I imagine and expect it will take more time - which will be measured in months - before Kodi is finished. We will see....

16. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The comparison between OSmini and SF4008 is simply nonsensical. OSmini is a budget receiver with a slow CPU for today's standards, and some pretty serious issues (RAM management, BCM tuner problems, slow performance, gstreamer bugs, vtuner crashes/slugginess etc), but most of these problems won't even be detected by an average user who sticks to non full HD skins (or HD ones with simple graphics) and basic DVBS/DVBT reception. For the job that's expected it's a decent STB with great support that covers up its flaws. SF4008 has great hardware, the CPU alone at 12000 DMPIS is 6 times faster than OSmini's. However the support has been lackluster, even though the interest was and remains high. Blindscan is an unfortunate setback for all ARM receivers, call it lack of opensource binaries, lack of driver implementation, plus not yet support for OpenGL. Yes, if it had blindscan I would have already bought it myself too. The thing is though that even when these are not still present, one day they will and the basis which is the hardware is more than capable than handling all that.

17. Thanks el bandido, mountaineer, ViP3R, sideswiper, rrob311 thanked for this post
  18. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since I don't own either receiver, thanks for the update for future reference.