Threaded View

1. Collapse Details
    4:2:2 SD/HD Video FTA Receiver Scam
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems the 4:2:2 video topic comes up every time a new consumer fta receiver comes out. The correct answer from the vendor or seller should be a simple NO when asked if their new box supports 4:2:2 HD or SD video. But that is too easy. Instead, the answer is "No 4:2:2 out of the box" or "Not yet, but we are working on it".

Most sellers or vendors of consumer fta receivers know or should know that the product they are selling cannot receive the 4:2:2 SD or HD video natively. Not today, not next week, not ever. I have seen this 4:2:2 video hyped in such a way as to make the customer or potential customer think the box is actually capable of it. When a seller knowingly misleads a customer or customers like this, it is a Scam!

The majority of consumer fta receivers have chips made by Broadcom in them. I once saw a statement by someone working for Broadcom that said the company would never release a consumer fta receiver that could natively receive the 4:2:2 SD or HD video because they were considered to be professional codecs. I think HEVC 4:2:2 video is different, and you may see fta consumer receivers advertising this feature.

So I must ask: Why are the consumer fta sellers and vendors still pushing the 4:2:2 SD/HD video when they know it is not possible to do natively? To be sure, there are work-rounds and stream relays that can be used to watch the few feeds that are actually 4:2:2. But you will need a commercial receiver to view these feeds natively unless you have one of the few older consumer fta receivers that had this capability natively.

Will this deception and scamming ever stop? I doubt it. Will someone get lucky one day and produce a consumer fta receiver with native 4:2:2 SD/HD video capability? I would say it is possible, but not likely. Most sellers of North American fta equipment only have low-end products. Most of their stuff comes from China and does not work that great to begin with due to poor support. People want it and people buy it. That is why they sell it. People also buy their deception. EB

Professional satellite receiver .pdf attached. Note the word License in the 4:2:2 description
    Attached Files Attached Files