Thread: Need input

1. Collapse Details
    Need input
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    OK, it looks like my "C" band dish actuator is FUBAR, the old VonWeis is not repairable due to no parts available even from the factory.

So I need opinions and reviews on a new 24 inch linear actuator for the 10 footer, it has to be cheap as I don't have any wiggle room in the budget right now, so opinions are needed, and reviews on what you have would help me decide on what to get.

2. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had several "cheap" or inexpensive actuators and they always last only 1 or two years. One less expensive way to find a decent actuator will be to find a dish to take down that has a good actuator on it.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

4. Thanks Terryl thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input El Bandido, but "C" band dishes are few and far between at my location, and they would be as old as my setup or older. (over 20 years)

My dish came from an estate sale, they didn't even know what the big ugly thing out back was for, so I took it down for then for free.

The actuators you had that failed in a few years were what brand(s)?

6. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mine was very similar to the one in the link. The exact one(s) that I purchased are no longer available.

8. Thanks Costactc, Terryl thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that of every actuator I have ever had, how often I moved the dish was more of a factor than how expensive the actuator. The current Superjack that I have has lasted longer (5 years and going) than every other actuator I've had, simply because I haven't moved the thing only a few times/year vs. multiple times every day/week. The expensive ones were no better than the cheap ones. YMMV

10. Thanks el bandido, ViP3R, Terryl thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree with the premise that too many movements across the arc will be a factor in the longevity of the jack. In 2000 I purchased my dish from a little old lady who watched subscribed channels on the ten footer I now own. The lady told me she would move that dish back and forth many times a day to watch her favorite shows. Two years later the jack failed.

I purchased a used jack in 2002 (unknown brand) and replaced the old one. It is still operating perfectly probably due to less movement across the arc. The only time the dish is moved now, is when a mandatory blind scan is required.

I would guess location, temperatures and maintenance would also be a factor.

12. Thanks ViP3R, Terryl, el bandido thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The actuator that came with the dish I picked up at an estate sale was over 20 years old, so I do not want to go with a used one again, the VonWeise line is supposed to be the top of the line, I would like to replace it with the same brand but after looking at the price I may have to go with something cheaper.

I move (or moved) my BUD quite a bit looking for those "C" band feeds (or did) so I would like something that won't drop out after a few years.

14. Thanks eastof111 thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using my superjack for the last 5 years about and I use it year round. During the winter it is around 0F or so. I bought it used with the dish and it was already probably 20 years old. It still works pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

16. Thanks el bandido, eastof111, ViP3R thanked for this post