1. Collapse Details
    How hard is it to convert a 6' dish to a 8' dish using thin galvanize steel panels?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I have looked all around my area for any discarded or unwanted 8' foot dish with no results or luck. I have a five years old 6' dish ($70.00 or so special dish, as it was called). This dish had served me well so far, but right now the only thing that is holding it together is mostly rust. There are a few panels that are not in too bad of a shape. I am thinking on disassembling the dish and using some of the fairly good panels to make a sort of a template out of thin galvanized steel and would like to extend or enlarge the new panels to 8' foot size and dimension.

Is there any suggestions or ideas of how to accomplish doing this?. I know that this is not going to be an easy project, but is it possible to do?. Some of the ideas are to make the panels edges an inch wider and to overlap the edges plus adding an extra foot at the front end to make the panels a total of 4' long or 8' overall size of the dish. The major problem would be to maintain the curvature and parabolic shape of the dish. Another problem would be to determine of where to place the three legs supporting the LNB holder, or how high to locate the the LNB on the dish in reference to the panels and to the new shape and form of the dish.

This is just an idea that I have been thinking about since there is/are not an available 8' dish(es) around here to be found.

Thank You for any input or suggestions.

2. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once you can fit the panels to the 8 foot around you will need to modify or create new poles to hold the LNB holder scaler. You can use electrical EMT tubes and cut them to the proper length. You need to calculate your new focus point dim. Here is how:

Focal length = f
    Depth = c
    Diameter = D
    f = ( D * D ) / ( 16 * c )

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

4. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a lot of information available for satellite dish building. I would suggest trying it if you have an unlimited amount of time and patience. You will learn a great deal by building your own dish.