Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I got lucky in my calcs and didn't have to cut for my ten footer. At its lowest point facing east, it sits about ten inches from the ground. Allows easy access to the feed horn.

2. Thanks mengram thanked for this post
    Likes el bandido, Costactc liked this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pole I have was a gift, so I cannot complain about the extra length. I was very fortunate, because that thing would cost some money if bought new.

A couple of different lines of thought on the dish height.
    (1) Keep the pole as low as the ground as possible to make adjusting the dish and lnb easier.
    (2) Elevate the dish so there will be room to mow underneath, and to keep things from accidentally hitting the dish.

I will have to decide later this evening as to which one I am going to do. It is time to install the pole now that the hole is finished.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4. Thanks easily confused, ViP3R, Costactc, mengram thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is time to think about the feed and lnbs.

The stock feed system is Chaparral, with a C band lnb made by Chapparal, and a Ku lnb made by Norsat. Both of these lnbs are probably 20+ years old, but I bet they still work good.

The Chaparral scaler ring is much better built when compared to a scaler ring from Titanium Satellite or other cheap Chinese lnbf. Maybe one day I can take time and test some different scaler rings to see how much performance difference they make. The scaler or lnb feedhorn should be matched for the dish.
    Below are some pictures of the Chaparral scaler compared to a cheap Chinese scaler.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Looks like the fd is 34.

Last edited by el bandido; 09-16-2016 at 08:46 PM.

6. Thanks eastof111, easily confused, ViP3R, Costactc, mengram thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    "A couple of different lines of thought on the dish height.
    (1) Keep the pole as low as the ground as possible to make adjusting the dish and lnb easier.
    (2) Elevate the dish so there will be room to mow underneath, and to keep things from accidentally hitting the dish."

My vote goes for #1. You won't regret it, unless you need the added height due to LOS problems.
    #2 - just move the dish to your southern sat when mowing. Works for me.

8. Thanks easily confused, el bandido, ViP3R, mengram, Costactc thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    The pole I have was a gift, so I cannot complain about the extra length. I was very fortunate, because that thing would cost some money if bought new.

A couple of different lines of thought on the dish height.
    (2) Elevate the dish so there will be room to mow underneath, and to keep things from accidentally hitting the dish.

I will have to decide later this evening as to which one I am going to do. It is time to install the pole now that the hole is finished.

What a nice clean hole you have! are you going to weld some ribs to the bottom of the pole to prevent any possible spinning?

click click b00m

10. Thanks el bandido, mengram thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    One piece of threaded rod was installed at the bottom of the pole to help keep it from spinning. Decided to keep the pole about the same height as the original installation. I added 1 foot extra over the original height.

12. Thanks ViP3R, Costactc, mengram thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pole has been installed using 800 pounds or 363 kg of concrete. All that is left to install is the polar mount, dish panels, and the feed. I will probably wait a day or two before doing anything else.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

14. Thanks eastof111, ViP3R, mengram, Costactc thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always a good idea to check the fit of the pipe Before you install it in the ground! A small piece was cut from the donor pipe and installed in the polar mount before the concrete was poured. I was not going to dig that thing back up because the pole was the wrong size!

I like to have just a bit of wheel bearing grease at the top of the pole. Makes for easy polar mount rotation

Would like to install the polar mount tomorrow.

16. Thanks eastof111, ViP3R, Costactc, mengram thanked for this post
  17. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Installation of the polar is complete. None of the panel supports were damaged so the next step will be to install the 8 panels and feed.

The panels were marked BEFORE the dish was taken down. This is a must if you want to put the dish back up the exact way it was originally.

18. Thanks eastof111, ViP3R, mengram thanked for this post
  19. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will take any ideas on a good commercial lnb and feed arrangement for this dish. I would probably be willing to pay up to $1,500.00 on a good c/ku system. There is no reason to get into the technical part of the feed system in this thread, but I will attach some documents explaining in detail the scaler ring and how it should be designed.

The scaler rings that are purchased from Titanium Satellite and other fta stores are not really designed correctly. Granted, they do work to a degree, and are better than nothing. I do not know how much of a signal decrease if any these cheap parts give because I have never spent time testing scaler rings. Metal costs money, so the less you use in the production of a scaler ring, the more money you can make. which is the basic China philosophy. Hopefully, No permanent, cheap made lnb parts for this dish!

This dish came with a Chaparral feed and C/Ku lnbs. Polarity was switched using a servo motor. All of these parts are probably still good and I may still use them for a while. Most likely though, I will probably put a cheap C band lnb in the original Chaparral scaler (providing it fits) and get the dish tracking the arc.

Rick Caylor has a servo controller that I am considering. I could add this and run what I have using about any fta receiver.

Rick also has a C/Ku Pansat feedhorn that is similar to the Chaparral Bullseye feedhorn. This looks to be an original Pansat feedhorn, so I assume the production date of it is at least ten years old.

The fd of this dish appears to be .34 because this is what the lnb is set at. I will check it in time. Most of the available C/Ku feeds that I would be interested are not advertised for a .34 fd. (Deep dishes are not made much anymore because it takes extra material to make them.)The search for something that is quality and will last several years continues. Any suggestions for a good C/Ku lnb system would be appreciated. There is no hurry because the dish system needs to be proven to perform before money is spent on lnbs and/or feeds.

20. Thanks eastof111, ViP3R, mengram thanked for this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast