1. Collapse Details
    Freesat(Openbox) V8 Super V347 08/19/2016 Latest Factory File Discussion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    This thread is for any discussion of the latest Freesat V8 file. I have had one of these receivers for several months now but have never been able to update the latest sw. The latest sw file I have in my box is from January 12 of this year. It isn't like any other stb usb update that I have encountered, just wondering if there was another way. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks easily confused thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like something is wrong with it. You just go to USB upgrade and select upgrade "All Code" and it'll update. Be sure and dump your channel list first.

I've had one for about a week and my motor stripped the acme nut while setting it up so it's sort of incomplete. I used the editor to put in the sats and one TP. Then I located the sats and stored them. While I was going back to scan, the motor went. The dish is clamped down at 101w and I have a brand new Von Weise on the way, should be here Tuesday or Wednesday if they ship it today.

So, no more than I got to use it I found it to be a great receiver, so much so I ordered another one. People were saying the V7 got Decades etc and was nice and cheap so I bought one. Now I wish I hadn't, two V8 Supers is the way to go. I'm using loop out to go to the V7 in the bedroom and I'm using a SCART adapter to send video through an RF modulator to the kitchen so the wife can keep up with her shows while she's cooking.

I've had no problem updating it and without more details I assume you know what menu item to select etc. Is it erring or what seems to be the problem?

If you know how the only tip I could offer off hand is to power it down before an upgrade. Receivers do get full of junk that may cause them to fail or can even brick them but I assume you know that too.

4. Thanks Costactc thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't dabbled with an openbox type receiver in years. I forgot to extract to desktop then send the file to usb, I extracted directly to usb. I will save all my channels and sats and give it another go. By the way, awesome picture in this stb and many perks to boot.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The file should be plain in the USB NO sub directory
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

7. Thanks Costactc thanked for this post
  8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm really impressed with it. It has lots of options and features and when you consider the price, it's a steal. My S9 never worked right in a lot of ways. One was while in the sat list if you hit left or right it was supposed to move to the sat left or right. It did when it wanted to. Also, when using favorites selecting a channel on a different sat than the one you were on didn't always move the dish to that sat. My wife never tried to use it because of the fiddling you had to do. She loves the V7/V8. It goes when you say so! She doesn't understand all of the sat location stuff and doesn't want to learn. She wants it to work like a cable box, select a channel and watch it.

I don't care about all of the stuff except the receiver/PVR and for it to work properly. I guess Youtube is nice and a few things like SAT2IP, with that you can stream to a tablet while you're grilling outside or if you're really into a game you can stream to your phone while you go to the bathroom. Of course you have timeshift for that but hey, you can do it.

I do like that you can stream from your computer with it but I haven't set that up yet. It seems to be a nice well rounded box for those who may want a few more features and is still a fine receiver for those who don't, they don't get in the way or bog it down. That's another thing I like, it's quick, down right fast. It doesn't get everything on a blind scan though, but you can scan a TP by PID and it doesn't miss it then. Of course that doesn't help if you're feed hunting.

The channel editor is lacking but you can turn on features by editing the XML config file. I'm going to post about that later today, have some things to do shortly. You can turn on motor type, LCN (Logical Channel Number) an a couple of other things. Turning on motor type while inputting quite a few sats can save you a lot of time when it comes to remote programming time. You can also turn on Longitude, but I think that is only for USALS so I couldn't test it. They also spelled Longitude wrong in the XML file and I don't know if it'll use just any name like a variable in a program or if it must be right. It could be misspelled in the FW too and might not work right if you change it. Yes, I've dug into it pretty good, as best I can with so little info available about it.

The manual is wrong, it's for a Golden. Look at the top when viewing the PDF, it says Golden. It shows a Golden too, has RCA's and no SCART. It also lists the CPU as 350MHz but it is 800MHz. I don't know what model it is though. The V7 HD uses a Montage M88CS6001-U Dual-Core SoC with built-in demodulator. It has 64MB of DDR2-1066 SDRAM with 4MB Flash Memory. I don't know what the Super has.

Ok, I'll get back here later this evening and say hello to some of the other guys. Have a good day.

9. Thanks Costactc thanked for this post
  10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlospr43 View Post
    The file should be plain in the USB NO sub directory
    Yes, just the .bin file in the root directory.

11. Thanks Costactc thanked for this post
  12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It finally took but now I need to get it back to the proper resolution and send my userdb file to get my channels and sats back.

13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    What sort of transponders does it miss on a blind scan? I mean, is there a definite pattern to it?

14. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
    What sort of transponders does it miss on a blind scan? I mean, is there a definite pattern to it?
    I have yet to see it miss a tp.

15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Costactc View Post
    I have yet to see it miss a tp.
    It missed MeTV HD or MeTV, I forget which one. It may have been me though. I was having actuator problems and didn't know it until the acme nut totally stripped. I may not have been dead on it. I scanned SES-1 because the dish was there and moved to Galaxy 19 to test Laff & Grit for audio skipping like happens with the V7 HD. The V8 Super doesn't have an audio skipping problem on Laff & Grit, gets everything including Decades, Heroes & Icons and Movies!

I know you guys probably know that but I threw that in there for others who may not know.

I scanned lots of sats but my actuator went out so I didn't get to finish or double check for missed TPs. If you say it doesn't miss anything then that's great, it was probably on my end. I'm getting a HDD going now, it wouldn't recognize it but I think it is NTFS, not sure. I know it worked on the S9 so I need to see why it rejected the HDD, probably my end again. I've had so much going on that I'm just getting to some of this stuff. When I got the S9 I think one of the first things I did was plug in a HDD, but I have been busy trying to get a actuator going with no luck. Can't wait for the new one to get here.

16. Thanks Costactc thanked for this post