1. Collapse Details
    X2 Prem HD switching problems
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Hello folks, my X2 Prem HD has developed switching problems, have been tinkering for several days and haven't eliminated all the glitches yet. After a massive rain a few days ago, this happened. There was one big thunderclap I heard during the storm but it wasn't reallly close by, but I know that doesn't always mean it wasn't lightning related.
    X2=to 22khz switch (switches between big c-band dish, and my motorized ku dish), KU dish on the 22khz-ON side of switch, then to 4port diseqc outside that allows me to switch to 2 more fixed ku dishes. The c-band line (22kz OFF side) goes straight to the c-band dish. Problem I noticed first was low signal level indication on some ku channels, but plenty of signal, and good video. Scanning was fine, and c-band channels were normal, signal display on X2 was as before.
    Finally figured out that port 1 on the diseqc went bad, and I didn't have a backup that wasn't also used and suspect. Got new switches on the way!
    Sometimes though-I get cband channels scanning in on ku-satellites when I run a ku-scan, as if the 22kz switch is bad too! Had a new replacement Ecoda switch, same problem. Have loaded several versions of X2 software but nothing fixes it completely. Anybody think this might be a voltage problem with the receiver??
    When I get the new diseqc in a few days I'll know more, tonight the box seems to be working better, but I'm still getting signal levels on some of the ku channels that show 5-10 % on strong channels, others show normal. Right now I'm puzzled.

2. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carefully check ALL outside connectors for water/moisture.

Putting a 22KHz switch in front of a Diseqc switch is asking for trouble. At best, the two switches play together, but at worst, you have unexplained loss of signal and erratic signal. Maybe consider using a bigger diseqc switch and eliminate the 22KHz switch?

It is also possible that you may have one or more lnb failing, but I would suspect that you have gotten water or moisture into part(s) of your antenna system. Moisture on the inside of the connectors is often overlooked, but will cause erratic signal losses.

4. Thanks turbosat thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like moisture somewhere. If a port in one of the diseqc went bad that's a good indicator. Beside checking all connectors look inside the LNBs. Old LNBs covers become loosen and moisture begins to get inside. If this is the problem then you should replace them. You can also try to get rid of the moisture inside. Sometime I bring switches or lnbs inside the house and let them rest in top of my TV or any warm box all night. Good Luck
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

6. Thanks turbosat thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi turbosat. I have essentially the same setup in a very humid/damp enviroment. Just the other day port 2 on mine went out (signal was low and would cut out constantly) so I bypassed the 22khz switch and shut down the other satellite that the 22khz ran to. I keep a small supply of diseqc and 22khz switches on hand due to the extreme climate. One of these days I will have to weatherproof all of the connections. Good luck finding the culprit.

ps. try a different receiver also. I have noticed some receivers seem to tolerate poor connections better than others. My x2 has been very sensitive to weaker connections since I have had it. Sometimes it will quit supplying voltage to the system and I simply have to unplug the receiver for an extended period of time before it will work again. Been like that since I have owned it but it always comes back.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

8. Thanks turbosat thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the hints, I believe I will try losing that 22khz switch first, and put the c-band lnb cable onto the diseqc switch outdoors. I had left it running into the house since I'm using an old IRD receiver to move the big dish, since the actuator line has to come inside I figured why not keep on using the coax that's in the ribbon cable, like I have for years. When my new diseqc gets here I may be able to figure out the exact culprit. To me, it sounds like moisture also, but I've got most of the lnbs covered well-the switch outside is not covered, and a couple of the ports weren't covered with coax-seal either. El bandido thanks for the info about the switches, don't think I ever heard about the possible trouble with using the 22khz & diseqc before, sounds like that could be it..

10. Thanks rodder thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Articles about using 22KHz switches before diseqc switches used to be available. The 22KHz tone can interfere with the Diseqc command, and this was the stated reason that the 22KHz switch should always be used after the diseqc switch.

22KHz tone switches also supply power to both sides of the switch at all times. Eliminating your 22KHz switch may solve more than one issue. Try and see...

12. Thanks turbosat thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I think I'll try that tomorrow, just take out the 22khz and run a short jumper from the c-band dish over to the diseqc on the ku band dish, they're side by side anyway. I remember having some of the same symptoms on the old Vantage receiver also, and I always blamed that on the box, hehe, instead of my switching scheme. I'll post back when I get it done, had to see the dentist this afternoon and it was already near dark when I got done there.

14. Likes el bandido liked this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the cband dish going into the diseqc switch now, took out the 22khz switch as it wasn't needed any more. Seems like this has solved the problems!! I can switch c-ku , scanning is working properly and my X2 box is showing normal, usual signal levels again. Thanks for all the help, guys and hope all have a nice holiday this week.

16. Thanks el bandido, ViP3R, cpr43 thanked for this post
    Likes el bandido, cpr43 liked this post
  17. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's STILL MORE! I thought I had the problem licked but this morning it returned. Ultimately, I think the real culprit was a failing lnbf, hehe. The geosatpro PLL lnbf, a year or so old, must've gotten zapped by that lightning that I reported hearing in my first post. It was intermittent though, I actually swapped it out, then put it back, thinking it was only a bad diseqc switch. Today though, my X2 went wonky again, it would scan in channels, then sometimes display them, or not. Or they would play 5 minutes then just go black screen like the sat signal had died. I knew when it started scanning in the V-side as both H and V, it had to be the lnbf. Cheap backup has everything working right and maybe for quite a while this time, haha. The moral of this story=when it doubt, replace everything, including the kitchen sink, the drain and the supply lines!

18. Thanks cpr43 thanked for this post