1. Collapse Details
    LNB and switches still powered after shutting Mini Premium OFF!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Anyone else notice that the switches and LNB are still powered up after shutting the receiver off with the remote?

I can envision someone easily frying a switch or two over this, or maybe even the voltage regulator chip in the receiver.

Any idea if this is a software or hardware issue? Hopefully it's software. <crossed fingers>

thanks in advance,

FMW

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Technically you are not shutting off power to the receiver with the remote , you are just putting it to sleep, this is the same with pretty much any box.

Before making changes to switches, LNB's or cables the rear rocker switch should be turned off or AC unplugged.

click click b00m

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I don't think that I ever had a receiver that didn't kill the LNB power when switched off with the remote prior to this one.

I'm sure that both of my X2 Premium II's kill the lnb power when switched off with the remote. The same goes for my "non clone" Openbox S9's, and a number of Traxis's.

My X2 M1 and the X2 Sticker clones are elsewhere right now so I can't double check them, but I don't remember them continuing to power the LNB when switched off. It's possible that the circuitry wasn't added in the smaller inexpensive "subcompact" boxes like these as either a space or cost cutting measure though.

None of my receivers prior to the Traxis's had remotes. Or blind scan, come to think about it. ;-)

thanks,

FMW

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    LNB's can freeze in colder climates. This not happen as easily when the lnb has power.
    Some lnb's do not work or perform very well until they have had power for 5-10 minutes. Leaving the power connected helps prevent signal loss at start-up.

Most FTA receivers that have been made in recent years do not cut the lnb power unless the receiver is put to sleep or unless power is removed from the receiver. This is done partly to the reasons mentioned above.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hadn't thought about temperature related issues since the dark old days of analog C band. I do remember a warmup time being needed before they'd settle down. My sat receivers were rack mounted with separate, stand alone, power supplies for the LNB's. I was feeding the sat receivers IF outputs into a pair of Icom R7000 radio receivers. Frequency drift was very noticeable with what I was doing with that setup.

I was lucky enough to never live where you had to keep them powered up to prevent them from actually freezing though.

I owned several that would occasionally need "encouragement" in the form of a few sharp, but not too sharp, raps to shift polarity though.

I would have imagined that alll of these issues would have totally disappeared ages ago as the designs matured. I've never experienced any of these issues with the Ku band gear I now play with. I guess that most people will never fully appreciate just how much technology is crammed into that modern mass produced six dollar LNB.

thanks,

FMW