1. Collapse Details
    Transfer Antenna Settings and Channels in Enigma2 Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Cut and paste your nims from the old setting file in etc/enigma2 into the new settings file,then transfer the altered settings file into the new image in etc/enigma2. Turn the receiver OFF by unplugging it or by using the rocker switch on the back once the altered file has been transferred. Rebooting or restarting enigma2 will probably result in the settings file transfer failing.

The lamedb file in etc/enigma2 contains the channel information, and the satellites.xml file in etc/tuxbox contains the satellite information. Transferring these two files, and altering/installing the settings file will give you channels and antenna settings in a new image.
    An altered settings file is attached.

Note: Do not alter the settings file name in any way during the cut and paste process. Use separate folders and only use the "save" command. Do not use the "save as" command.

First Object XML Editor is free and is an excellent program for viewing and altering the settings file. I suggest using it or something similar.

Settings file examples are in the attached folder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by el bandido; 04-05-2015 at 11:55 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Editing the .xml files in the /etc/enigma2/ folder should only ever be done while enigma is in sleep mode, otherwise you run a very high risk of corrupting them.

Start a telnet session and issue the init 4 command
    FTP to the receiver and transfer the file you want to work with to your PC.
    Open the .xml file with something like notepad++ (Do not use the standard windows notepad program)
    once you have made the alterations FTP the file back to the /etc/enigma2/ directory (while enigma is still in sleep mode) then issue the init 3 command to restart enigma.

also remember that some files are considered as system files such as the satellites.xml file in the tuxbox directory, these files should NEVER be altered as they are updated with a system update, instead place your custom satellites.xml file into the /etc/enigma2/ directory where the image (Pli and all OE-A based images) will look, if a user file is found in the enigma2 directory it will take over from the system file instead.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing the steps that I outlined without using any telnet command countless times on SH4 and other enigma2 boxes without corruption or any other issues. I have been altering the satellites.xml in etc/tuxbox for several years without corrupting anything. Still, nice to know the correct way of doing things, and putting satellites.xml in etc/enigma2 is an excellent suggestion.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    I have been doing the steps that I outlined without using any telnet command countless times on SH4 and other enigma2 boxes without corruption or any other issues. I have been altering the satellites.xml in etc/tuxbox for several years without corrupting anything. Still, nice to know the correct way of doing things, and putting satellites.xml in etc/enigma2 is an excellent suggestion.
    Some files are more prone to corruption than others, such as those files that are held in live memory like the timers.xml and autotimers.xml files, the satellites.xml file is not technically a live file but it's still good practice to place enigma to sleep before playing with such files. also on topic of the satellites.xml file placing it in /etc/enigma2/ only really applies to Pli and OE-A based images, it wont work like that for Vu+ OI based images like BH or VTI.

ALL pli and OE-A based images are designed to first look in the /etc/enigma2/ directory for custom or user files (satellites.xml and bootlogo files etc as well as others), if they are found they will be used by the image, if not it will instead use the system file in the tuxbox directory but that file is updated as part of the system update and as such should not be edited or you run the risk of breaking the update feature among other things. again this only applies to Pli and OE-A images not black hole or VTI.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    For North America, we do not want the satellites.xml file to be updated because that overwrites our custom file and causes problems with the satellite editor plugin. I have even deleted the satellites.xml in etc/tuxbox after moving the satellites.xml to etc/enigma2 in order to keep it from being disturbed during online updates. That step is probably overkill, but at least my custom file does not get an unwanted update!

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    For North America, we do not want the satellites.xml file to be updated because that overwrites our custom file and causes problems with the satellite editor plugin. I have even deleted the satellites.xml in etc/tuxbox after moving the satellites.xml to etc/enigma2 in order to keep it from being disturbed during online updates. That step is probably overkill, but at least my custom file does not get an unwanted update!
    Thats exactly why I said for Pli and OE-A based images simply place your custom satellites.xml file in the /etc/enigma2/ directory as the image will default to this and you wont have to neuter the default system version. also for ViX (not sure about the other OE-A teams) but for ViX we update our satellites.xml file directly from our own host which is more accuate and covers a wider range than the standard ones that Pli and others use.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Pale-Rider mentioned, it's the easiest and safest way to maintain your custom sat.xml file from being overwritten by on-line updates of various images.

Another easy way is to keep a directory in DreamBoxEdit by specific image name. VIX, ATV, VTI, etc. In each directory install your custom satellite.xml file. Now every time you make any changes, you just hit the "send files to Dreambox" button and DreamBoxEdit will upload everything for you, including settings, lamedb, picons, xml files, etc.; then hit the restart enigma button.

Again, depending on the image, you will always have your most current custom satellite.xml file untouched. On images that do not read the /etc/engima2 custom satellite.xml file, you will still have to go the extra step of the init routine.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The satellites editor plugin does not work if you put the satellites file in etc/enigma2. I have modified the plugin a bit to make it work, but it still crashes when you try to add a satellite with my modifications.
    It would be nice if DreamBoxEdit would save your antenna settings. I also noticed that SetEDit does not put enigma2 to sleep when it reads or transfers files, so apparently that program does not use the init4/init3 steps either..

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    DreamBoxEdit does save your antenna settings, BUT, it depends on the version and image you are using. Every time the author makes revisions, it's a 50/50 chance that item will not work. Otherwise, it's back to the old fashioned cut and paste and init routine. I keep three different versions on my desktop, starting with version 6002 which was pretty reliable but was not too compatible with DreamSet or vice versa.

DreamSet lately, has started to corrupt the bouquet files when opened with DreamBoxEdit. I use DreamSet because it allows be to zap between IPTV channels while editing. DreamBoxEdit does not have this feature. It only zaps sat stations. But it does allow me to edit picons, which DreamSet does not.

So, whenever DreamBoxEdit doesn't accomplish its task, I just cut and paste whatever is necessary in the settings file in the DreamBoxEdit image directory and then the init 4 routine and upload everything either with DreamBoxEdit (without hitting the reboot button) or manually with Filezilla and then the init 6 routine.

Too make a long story short, I usually experiment with DreamBoxEdit and the current images and which every version works, I will use to save me the hassle of using cut and paste and the init routine.
    Attached Images Attached Images