1. Collapse Details
    Openbox S10 reboots every 10 minutes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Hi everybody,

I had an openbox S9, the thing crashed after a year, so now i bought an openbox S10, i used the same firmware (no idea what one) but now the S10 reboots every 10 minutes, very annoying. I use Astra 1 and 3. Can anyone tell me what firmware is okay for this openbox.
    I don't understand really much from the openbox, when i got the S9 it was installed for me, but the man that did that is no more, so now i have to figure it out myself.

Sorry for my bad English, i am from Holland.

Kind Regards,
    Bohasu

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and Welcome to Legit!
    The rebooting may be caused by a short or bad connection in the antenna system. Try turning the receiver Off by completely removing the power, then disconnect the antenna line from the back of the receiver. Then turn the receiver ON and then watch for a reboot. You will know the antenna system is bad if the receiver stops rebooting.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also the tuner thermosistor will cause this.
    Here is a thread on it. To make sure this is the problem.....disconnect coax from the S10 and try booting it. If it boots fine then the thermosistor is the problem. It can be replaced easily as shown in the thread. i just bypassed mine by wrapping a thin piece of wire around the two legs of it. I dont suggest this but it works. At your own risk as always.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer View Post
    Also the tuner thermistor will cause this.
    Not in his case Mountaineer, the signature of a bad thermistor is the lnb loses power and the signal goes out. Not a re-boot loop. He has some other problem perhaps as EB suggested. Maybe a thermistor would fix his S9 if he still has it.
    C: 8' Andrew w/orthomode feeding twin Norsat 8515, Atemio Nemesis
    Ku: 1.2m Channel Master w/orthomode feeding twin NJR universal lnbs, Manhattan
    DBS: Motorized DTV Slimline w/DMS 922 circular, Jynxbox Ultra V3
    4:2:2 AZminiMe slaved off C/Ku

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thermistor caused this on mine. I'm not disputing you I just know I own three s10's and had to do this with all of them. Only two got in the reboot mode....but I think when the thermistor goes in some cases it shuts down the receiver or causes a blip. But I was just trying to share my experience, hopefully he finds what it is wrong and gets it fixed.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    overheating of the processor can cause problems.
    A short in the coax line can also cause rebooting,like when the wind blows the wire to and fro.
    I would pop the cover off the receiver and see if that helps.
    Rule of thumb;if you burn your thumb on the processor it's time to add a fan.
    or am I being obtuse?

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    there was an issue years ago with the openbox rebooting on hd channels,if that's the problem.
    It was fixed in later firmware releases.
    or am I being obtuse?

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reboot problem I had on my Openbox S10 fresh out of the box was from a factory design flaw in the power supply. There is an updated chip that fixed mine. Here is the thread on it: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

if you can read the chip on the power supply see if you have the one that causes problems. I replaced mine and the box has worked perfect since.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is C/P I kept on my computer along with other issues on the S9's. Can recall who was the originator but all credits goes to him not me,

"Woke up this morning to the S9 Constantly rebooting.
    Like OK here we go. If ya removed the load on the power supply,
    by disconnecting the cable from Pwr supply output, to main board input, the power supply output voltages seemed stable with no load.
    So it was still fundamentally functional. They are labelled +24V, +12V and +5V at the output ribbon cable connector.
    If ya monitored any of the output voltages while loaded, none of them were stable. They all followed they same pattern as the rebooting. Closed loop feedback shutting er down under load.

Found C19 on the Pwr Supply Board was toast.
    C19 and C17 are part of a filter network with inductor L5 .
    C17 measured OK, while C19 Measured only 100 UF on my Triplett DMM.
    For now I replaced C19 with a 1000 uF 35 V, all I had handy in the parts bin,
    and for now it's working. Should be OK while I await new caps from Digikey.
    Anyway, it's all back together scanning the sky again till I get the correct new caps.

For future reference here is a list of all the electrolytic caps on the Power Supply Board of the Openbox S9.

Openbox S9 Power Supply
    Constant Reboot

Electrolytic Caps
    These two are in a filter network on the +5V output line if I remember correctly. So if ya ever need to replace one, maybe assume the inevitable and replace em both at the same time.
    C19 1500 uF 10 V 105 deg C Toast Digikey P14379-ND
    C17 1500 uF 10 V 105 deg C looks and measures OK Digikey P14379-ND

The rest of these just because they are also on other output voltages.
    C12 470 uF 35V 105 deg C Digikey P12415-ND
    C13 220 uF 35V 105 deg C Digikey P5552-ND
    C14 220 uF 25V 105 deg C Digikey P12383-ND
    C15 100 uF 25V 105 deg C Digikey P5540-ND

Not as likely needing to be replaced save for catastrophic failures.
    C4 33uF 50V 105 deg C Digikey P5567-ND
    Main AC Rectifier Filter Cap
    C2 33uF 400V 105 deg C Digikey 565-1464-ND

The original caps all say they are mfr'd by some "Econd" never heard of 'em.
    Which is a Russian cap mfr.
    C19 was actually bad (measured 59 uF out of circuit) , C17 it's identical twin measured >2000uF, which is ~ +33%. Possibly how it limped along with a bad cap for so long (2 years or so?)...

Box is back up and working.
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    the schematic is in another thread,assuming the s9 and s10 power supplies were the same
    or am I being obtuse?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast