Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Titanium Satellite C2PLL: Where's The Beef?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Recently a friend of mine had his c band dish destroyed in an accident. He decided to loan me his C2PLL while he looks for a replacement dish. Much has been written about the C2PLL lnb by the manufacturer and by the people that are selling it. I will test and evaluate the C2PLL lnb as time permits, but have agreed to return the lnb when the owner has use for it again.

The C2PLL is advertised to weigh 10.1 ounces. At least 3 ounces of this weight is for the heat sink.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The C2PLL lnb weighs about the same or even a little bit less than other c band lnbs once the heavy heat sink has been removed.

The heavy heat sink is totally useless because it is not connected to anything. The big heat sink only covers a hole.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I have disassembled a lot of electronic equipment and my fair share of computers. This is the first time I can remember removing a heat sink that was not physically coupled or connected to something that needed the heat removed.
    I find the C2PLL lnb case to be no better or worse than any of my other c band lnbs. The extra weight or Beef in the C2PLL lnb is in the form of a useless heat sink!

2. Thanks rrob311, eelstrebor thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always wondered if the heat sink actually contributed to the performance of the lnb or the marketing aspect.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if the heatsink actually worked, what's the reasoning or purpose of it?

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    From The Manufacturer or Importer:
    The natural color aluminum cooling fins also assist in dissipating heat from the electronics and body mass resulting in a lower operating temperature with increased performance.
    I translate all of that to mean the heat sink is only there to impress you and to make you want to buy the lnb. Nothing more & Nothing less.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Test the theory, make a plastic cover to cover the hole where the heatsink goes, get some signal readings, put the heatsink back and see if the signal is less or better.
    Regards.
    Chewie

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be easier to just remove the heat sink and run without it for a while and see what happens.
    If the heat sink was that important then you would not make the same lnb and charge 15 dollars less when the heat sink is not included.

The C1PLL™ lite series of Phase Lock Loop C-band LNBFs provide performance without the price tag. Want the development expertise, excellent performance and customer support provided with Titanium Satellite products? Introducing performance on a budget! The C1W-PLL™ lite has all the performance and a lifetime warranty like its big brother, the C1WPLL™, but in a light cast waterproof case with standard hardware.
    I bet his lite lnb weighs about the same as the C2 with the heat sink removed. The case of the C2 is already as thin or thinner than other c band lnbs.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be fun to do some tests with this. A regular lnb usually has a white cover. White does a great job at reflecting heat. In direct sunlight which lnb would absorb more heat? Then another test where a black nosecone is installed say in 100+ degree weather.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is that the aluminum ribbed piece of metal exposed to direct sunlight will absorb more heat than it actually dissipates. In my neck of the woods, flat roofs are painted white versus silver. When touched, the silver coating will actually hurt when touched versus the white paint which will be warm to fairly hot.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest way to make a c band lnb operate cooler would be to put a cover on it. Almost all of the older c band dishes had covers for the lnbs but not many people use them anymore. C band lnb heat is not really an issue.

The C2PLL lnb will be tested against a Pauxis dual lnb. The Pauxis has been on my dish for about two years and I have been very pleased with its performance. Information on the Pauxis and how it is wired into my antenna system can be found in the above link.

The Pauxis lnb weighs about 8 ounces, and the case of this lnb is equal to or better than the case of the C2PLL lnb.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The Pauxis has been removed from the dish and the C2PLL lnb has been installed. So far, the C2PLL has not performed any better or any worse than the Pauxis. I was able to install the C2 and not have to rescan any channels. I have swapped lnbs several times and had to rescan due to the lnb finding transponders at slightly different frequencies.

Separation between the two lnb ports on the C2PLL is good.

11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Open the cover of a dro c band lnb and you will see a tuning slug for the lnb l.o. frequency. Material is placed on top in an attempt to cut down on vibrations which can cause the l.o. frequency of the lnb to drift or move.

This cover and cavity is not needed for a pll lnb.

Pictured below is the cover for a WSI lnb. Carefully read the information on the cover and you can see that lies are common in the lnb industry for homeowners.
    This lnb cover can probably be used on the C2PLL lnb.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast