Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Enigma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    As you all know I'm a dxer at heart and have only dabbled once with enigma, with the help of EB. I was wondering what the advantages are to using enigma as it seems that tech is going that way. Any input as to what receivers would best be suited for this as I'd like to give it a whirl but I'd like to start a bit low end at first. I have an azbox ultra which is hardly being used and was wondering if it would be compatible.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enigma2 is mainly suited for setting up favorites lists of channels for watching TV and listening to audio/radio. Unless or until they ever get a good blindscan feature that works on a receiver, it really isn't suited for DXing.

That said, the main feature that I like is the ability to put satellite and internet channels in the same favorites list (known as "bouquets") and treat them all as just channels, all seamlessly. The other feature is being able to update lists and plugins via the network.

Luckily, if you already have an AZBox, there is nothing more to buy to enter the game.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me Engima is still an enigma... a sat receiver, a multiple sat receiver, a dvr or multiple dvrs, media player with DLNA, an internet browser, an iptv player and recorder, a sat client or server, media formater and checker, a sat meter and many more things I have failed to mention. Engima performs very well with many of the job functions it was designed and assigned. Yet with some it still needs improvement.

I guess a good analogy would be a computer with Linux or Windows, then customizing each by adding software programs of your choice plus any additional hardware. Further customization with batch or script files adding to the experience. One works better than the other in certain job functions and personal requirements.

In short, Enigma offers a platform for multi-media or mutli-purpose envoirnments. The stb can be utilized as is out of the box or can be further configured with third party plugins to enhance versatility and/or be used as a test bed for a learning experience. It can be enhanced further, if one can code and add one's own plugins or compatible hardware.

IMHO, as for dxing, "are we there yet"? No. The stbs do offer a powerful cpu and sensitive tuner(s), but they are not being utilized for their full potential. I believe this is due to a lack of Euro interest for a blind scan option and our lack of interest in Linux receivers.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of ways that Enigma2 was like a regular satellite receiver, but like eastof111 wrote, Enigma2 is so much more and can be an entire mutimedia center in one box. You'll never be bored playing with it.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eastof111 View Post
    IMHO, as for dxing, "are we there yet"? No. The stbs do offer a powerful cpu and sensitive tuner(s), but they are not being utilized for their full potential. I believe this is due to a lack of Euro interest for a blind scan option and our lack of interest in Linux receivers.
    I would say, you have pretty much hit the nail rite on the head with this analogy.

Dxing is as you say not that important to the European market at present as we have a lot of quite powerful satellites with a lot of premium content easily available. I would say that if the North American market embraced the Enigma 2 platform a little more that would surly change, but as it stands rite now there is little to no incentive for the manufacturers to invest in North America as it's just not a lucrative market for them.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it sounds like enigma is a streaming function that can be utilised in combination with a satellite receiver. Why combine the 2 when there are already multi-media boxes out there that are internet dedicated and much cheaper. It's like an attempt to combine 2 principles without having perfected one or the other and no major attempts seem to be taken to do so. I'd like to give it a shot with my azbox as it's hardly being used with the exception of 4:2:2 feeds.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Costactc View Post
    So it sounds like enigma is a streaming function that can be utilised in combination with a satellite receiver. Why combine the 2 when there are already multi-media boxes out there that are internet dedicated and much cheaper. It's like an attempt to combine 2 principles without having perfected one or the other and no major attempts seem to be taken to do so. I'd like to give it a shot with my azbox as it's hardly being used with the exception of 4:2:2 feeds.
    Enigma is a whole lot more than just media streaming, it's a open platform that can be tailored to the individual user, with all kinds of skins and plugins. I certainly could not go back to using a closed source system / receiver again.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale-Rider View Post
    Enigma is a whole lot more than just media streaming, it's a open platform that can be tailored to the individual user, with all kinds of skins and plugins. I certainly could not go back to using a closed source system / receiver again.
    I get that but these new multi media boxes do exactly the same at a minimal cost (skins, plugins and updated addons) and they are entirely internet dedicated without having to incorporate the satellite part of the equation. Why not perfect each other seperately instead of combining them?

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I can tell you is to get a new dedicated multimedia box and try it.
    Enigma works better in the faster receivers. This is just the nature of the beast, but you can get the idea or a taste of the system using a slow AzBox.

As you know, there are European forums that discuss Dxing and feed hunting. Many Europeans also look for 4:2:2 feeds and want 4:2:2 video features in fta receivers. 4:2:2, and scanning features take a backseat, probably due to all the free or subscription channels that are available to the fta receiver in Europe.

The Enigma operating system added media content long before most dedicated media boxes were on the market. File sharing and storage access is a great feature on most Enigma systems. I can play files from several different network locations, and also play files that are stored in another receiver's hard drive. Enigma and Linux make it easier for multiple devices to share and communicate. This makes fta reception a small part of the entire system.

Overall picture quality seems to be improved with Enigma, and the only complaint I have is the blindscan and slow channel scan capabilities. Enigma's main problem is the slow channel scan of transponders and the lack of a blindscan, even if the receiver model is hardware capable of blindscan.

Several fta receivers have recently added Android or have tried to base their fta operating system on Android technology.
    Android was designed for handheld devices and tablets, so using this operating system for fta has not gone very well to date. I think Android is nothing more than a passing fad, more of a novelty than anything else.

The Enigma operating system continues to expand and develop for fta. It would not surprise me to see some Enigma fta receivers with exceptional blindscan/channel scan features in the near future. EB

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. How would I go about giving it a shot on my azbox?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast