Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Well, I didn't really condemn the X2. I really like the receiver, and have added a second one into the mix here.

A couple of points of information, since you bring them up: agreed regarding moisture, however the only thing in the entire mix that's outside is the dish and LNB. The multiswitches, diseqcs etc are all indoors and well protected from moisture.

Also, C/Ku LNB combinations are not an issue here. The dishes are either dedicated C or Ku.

nc-jay

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK.
    It looks like the other person might have a C/Ku. You have individual dishes then you should be getting at least the signal I get in NC if not more. I think trading the X2 and the Vantage will probably give you the most information on this problem.

The X2 receiver or its firmware could be the issue, but everything seems OK here using the December firmware. I have not updated my X2 lately.

Another thing you might test is slowly moving the dish off some signals and see which receiver breaks up and loses the signal first. Then swap the receivers, repeat the test exactly as the first time and see if the results are the same.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jay, Costactc and el bandido,

The second day of testing was better. 50% of the TPs you mentioned came in clear with X2 and solid although they seem lower in power (as viewed on a spectrum analyzer) since the shift to S2.

I believe my issue was the extreme weather they were having (I broomed off my dish again!). The Vantage did struggle with a couple of them but was only intermittent then stablized. It's no wonder I had some glitches with the extreme N.E. weather. We'll see how this all pans out when the skies clear up..

I use a 4-way splitter from my main powered receiver to connect 3 addtional STBs inside. Not as elaborate as your setup. Also C/Ku Seavey ortho on 8'CM
    SMC does Ku well but I suspect the 1.8 Prod would blow it away on Ku.
    Last edited by jkara; 02-05-2014 at 09:21 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Usually a firmware issue will be consistent and not change with the weather. For the Ku band, I am running multiple receivers(4) from one quad LNB. One thing I have noticed in my system is some LNB cable feeds will show a bit better connection than others. It is common for my receiver to vary by around 1db when connected to different ports of the quad LNB. This is why I mentioned trading places with the receivers to see if the problem follows the receiver.

Also try moving the dish a small amount and see which receiver breaks up or loses signal first. It may be that the Vantage has a better tuner than the X2 and is more able to cope with a minimal signal than the X2. EB

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have spent some time over the past few days looking at these CBS feeds. I noticed some of them were breaking up-even when I had an acceptable signal. These feeds were tested with different receivers using the exact same coax feed. Some of the break up problem seems to be on the CBS end.

Various charts that are published show that I can expect to lose these CBS feeds if my CNR falls below 7.9db. The calculated CNR values are real close to what my receiver actually needs to open these channels.
    In good conditions, I might get 13.0db SNR on these CBS transponders using a 1.8 meter dish. This dish is dedicated to the KU band and it has an Inverto quad lnb connected to an Invacom ADF120 adjustable feed horn.
    In Inclement weather, I might have 11 or 12 SNR for these CBS feeds, and I can expect to lose them all together with a decent rain.
    The X2 does not seem to break up any more or less than the other receiver that I compared it to on these feeds. EB

Below are given the minimal carrier-to-noise ratio values required to lock the signal broadcast in DVB-S2 standard
    DVB-S2 8PSK:
    FEC SNR
    3/5 5.5
    2/3 6.6
    3/4 7.9
    5/6 9.4
    8/9 10.6
    9/10 11

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    eb is there a way to look up the snr or cnr on a regular receiver or is something more advanced or a pc required? Is that an e2 firmware of some sort that you are taking that reading with?
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. That is E2. Most fta receivers do not provide a SNR in db option. And not all e2 images have the SNR in db option either, but most of the ones I have tried do have SNR in db.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12