Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    "There seems to be a device coming out next month that makes that feasible. Hope it is not vaporware."

Not to hijack the thread, but Rick's has had this available for a while. Might be something you're looking for, before the Titanium comes out with their version.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wen, what are you using to control your polarotor now?
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eastof111 View Post
    "There seems to be a device coming out next month that makes that feasible. Hope it is not vaporware."

Not to hijack the thread, but Rick's has had this available for a while. Might be something you're looking for, before the Titanium comes out with their version.
    Thanks for the information. I will certainly look into it and see if I can integrate it into my setup. Yes, Titanium was the one I had been waiting for since the polarity was automatically set with the input voltage range. Right now I am still struggling with my BSC621-2D LNBF. Tonight, it scanned 35 channels on G16Ku, then some of them just show no signal. I built my original LNA and down-converter back in 1981 and fortunately, it did not have some of these intermittent problems.

I am using it with a diseqc switch selecting c-band and ku-band labs.

This was my last lnb setup before I moved from California to Texas in 1994, so it is at least 20 years old.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    C-band since 1980. 12 ft Paraclipse bought new. Dual Tuner AzBox Premium HD+. FW is 0.9.5311 (reads 0.9.5308 on the AZBox).
    X2 Premium HD SW Ver: r2890-32202607 -xs0 Date: Sep 24 2013. Two 1mtr Wingard Dishes with STAB HH-120 motors.
    ​Titanium Satellite ASC-1 dish positioner, Chaparral Co-rotor feedhorn. 24 inch Thomson Saginaw Ball Actuator.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob311 View Post
    Wen, what are you using to control your polarotor now?
    Unfortunately, I could not find the remote control for my old analog receiver, so I temporarily gave up controlling the polarotor and bought the band-stacked version BSC621-2D LNBF. I am still hoping that my old Chaparral Co-rotor II will work better than the BSC621-2D does so far! Wish I could see down to 30W, but so far with a 24 inch actuator, about 50 degrees is as low as I can reach and still get to 139. I can physically see down to 34.5 if I can get the actuator geometry to reach that low and still reach the Western end of the arc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    C-band since 1980. 12 ft Paraclipse bought new. Dual Tuner AzBox Premium HD+. FW is 0.9.5311 (reads 0.9.5308 on the AZBox).
    X2 Premium HD SW Ver: r2890-32202607 -xs0 Date: Sep 24 2013. Two 1mtr Wingard Dishes with STAB HH-120 motors.
    ​Titanium Satellite ASC-1 dish positioner, Chaparral Co-rotor feedhorn. 24 inch Thomson Saginaw Ball Actuator.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used wide band corotor several times but could never get it to scan in properly, especially polarity. Now that I have a dish dedicated to circular sats, I'm just sticking to lnbfs.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Costactc View Post
    I've used wide band corotor several times but could never get it to scan in properly, especially polarity. Now that I have a dish dedicated to circular sats, I'm just sticking to lnbfs.
    Ha Ha....This is what you needed! This was my original home made 12 ft fiberglass dish with an Alliance AR-44 tv antenna rotator to turn the LNA. Only took 15 seconds to change from horizontal to vertical polarity, but the Chaparral Polarator was a big improvement in speed of operation. The only problem I ever had with the polarotor was that they eventually wear out as they are a mechanical device. Notice that this was before the Chaparral circular concentric feed horns were in use. Wish I knew someone who had used the old type corotor II and the current stacked in line lnbf systems. I also have a DMS BSC421 c-band only LNB, and it seems to work well. I always cut a piece of 1/8 inch teflon sheet to fit diagonally in the LNA/LNB throat for circular polarization.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by wen; 10-27-2013 at 09:40 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's quite an impressive setup for 1981, for that matter it would still be today! Did your dish ever make it in to Coop's Digest. It certainly should have!

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eastof111 View Post
    That's quite an impressive setup for 1981, for that matter it would still be today! Did your dish ever make it in to Coop's Digest. It certainly should have!
    Thanks for the kind words. I believe I still have all the old Coop's digests in the barn.

The dish was laid up in 3 sections over a mold of chicken wire and plaster. The reflector was tin foil embedded in the gel coating. It worked as well as any commercial dishes.

I was invited by the local IEEE chapter in San Diego to give a presentation on my system as there were so few in operation at that time. The LNA, Down-converter, and Receiver were also home made. The dish was initially driven by a large ball screw actuator and a motor was then added to it allowing you to steer the antenna with a couple of pushbuttons in the house! Things have changed in this industry and now it is rare to even find anyone that knows much about c-band. In the early days mostly hams and technical guys were at the forefront of satellite technology.
    Last edited by wen; 10-27-2013 at 03:31 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely cutting edge technology for the time. Hope to see and read some more of your posts here...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123