Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I loaded Openatv-3.0 firmware today. I think this operating system would be better suited for most people in North America. Blind scan works for both C and Ku bands with this firmware. I also noticed that tuners A and C would both support blindscan. In my earlier tests using tuners A & B, blindscan only worked in tuner A

The double tuners in the Duo2 are set up on 2pc boards or two cards. So tuner A is above tuner B, and Tuner C is located directly across from tuner A. Tuner A and C are also on different pc boards so that may explain why blindscan works for these two tuners.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The double tuners in the Duo2 are set up on 2pc boards or two cards. So tuner A is above tuner B, and Tuner C is located directly across from tuner A. Tuner A and C are also on different pc boards so that may explain why blindscan works for these two tuners."

EB, glad to hear that blindscan is working. If I remember, you mentioned Ku blindscan worked with BH, but not C and now C and Ku works with Openatv. I am slightly confused... don't understand why the physical tuner setup would have any correlation on blind scan working. Also, I am guessing Openatv is more advanced in blindscan development than BH or any other image at this point? How does it compared to a reference receiver of your choice?

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are slightly confused? Try it from this end.
    Blackhole images run blindscan from a plugin.
    Openatv Images have blindscan in the menu. (See Attached.)
    Openatv has more settings for blindscan than the Blackhole plugin does.
    A version of Openatv is available for AzBox Premium Plus.

About the tuners:
    I currently have 3 dishes, so I ordered a tuner for each dish, plus one extra tuner (4 DVB-S2 tuners total).
    Tuners are available as single tuners(1pc board per tuner) or as double tuners(1 pc board for 2 tuners).

There are only two slots for tuners in the Duo2. My guess is the firmware for blindscan only recognizes 1 slot. Maybe having the two tuners in one slot is confusing the blindscan firmware? Anyway, this was my line of thinking when I moved C band from tuner B to tuner C.

Another thing:
    All 4 DVB-S2 tuners can share the same orbit position in the satellite file. So instead of having separate C and Ku satellite orbits, you may use one satellite orbit location for both. Each individual tuner allows for separate or unique switch settings, including separate USALS or Diseqc 1.2 settings. This is typical for most E2 firmwares.
    When C band was assigned to tuner B, I noticed that blindscan had Ku Ghz parameters defined, and I could not change these to blindscan C band. I had already blindscanned the ku channels before I tried the C band blindscan on tuner B.
    But when I moved the C band coax to tuner C, I got C band Ghz parameters for the blindscan. With Ku on tuner A, and C band on tuner C, I can blindscan the same satellite orbit location and I will get the correct Ghz parameters for either band. Not So when the two bands are assigned to tuners A & B!
    I would expect some of this to be fixed soon, but with a fta receiver, you never know!.

Blindscan on both bands is poor, but it is better than nothing. The blindscans seem to take less than 5 minutes. I may actually time some later just to see how long they really take.

In the past, I have ran different E2 images on several different brands of receivers. I like E2 because of the freedom(s) it gives the operator to change and customize things. E2 is a natural choice for those that have large switches or big dish farms. E2 does not have some things the average fta user might expect such as an on-board channel editor.

As far as comparisons, I expect the Duo2 to replace my Raptor. The Raptor does about everything I need in a fta receiver. What the Raptor lacks in factory firmware can be made up if you load an E2 image.
    As an example, the Raptor has problems opening channels with symbol rates below about 1800 with factory firmwares. This low symbol rate problem does not exist in E2 firmwares for the Raptor!
    So the Duo2 should replace the Raptor as my main receiver at some point in time, but two things need to happen.
    (1) I need to understand the limits of the Duo2 and how most of its features work, and (2) The firmware for the Duo2 needs to mature a bit. My guess for this to happen will be early 2014.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see where this can get confusing until they clean up their code. I am surprised the images have gotten this far so quickly, considering blindscan is not a very popular item across the pond. I can see this box having a lot of potential as they develop its capabilities.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    This Openatv image works very well.

I can configure some of the remote buttons to do certain tasks. I configured the "Help" button to show the signal (SNR) in db when the help button is pressed. This pop-up will stay on the screen until the exit button is pressed.

A pop-up that shows video content can also be configured. This pop-up will appear when video content changes during a channel change. the pop-up will time out and disappear after about 30 seconds, or by pressing "Exit" on the remote.

Openatv will also fine tune your positioner. on the remote, Press Menu--->SetUp--->Service searching--->Positioner setup. Then press the green remote button for Auto focus. The receiver will move the dish back and forth until maximum signal is obtained.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a very versatile image. I like the part about moving/tuning the dish back and forth similar to the GI/4dtv receivers.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted a query regarding blindscan back in August on one of the Euro sites. I just checked and a few days ago another poster was requesting the same info. I always assumed blindscan was not that popular over there, but I have to believe there's some people using it. I see many views listed, but no response. How's your atsc project going?

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    ATSC is supposed to be developed in a future firmware. We will see.
    And on blindscan, I see the same. It is not just a North American feature.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Duo2 is a Recording Monster with an internal hard drive installed.
    As a test, I recorded several channels on the Luken C band mux at 87W, Plus the entire LPB mux on 87Ku at the same time. This was a total of 14 video recordings at one time!
    I have no idea what the record because I stopped at 14 to verify that they all recorded and that they all could be watched. Everything checked out OK.

One reason I bought 4 tuners was to have extra record capability. This receiver will be a Recording Monster once all four tuners are connected. There will be 5 tuners when or if ATSC USB support is finished.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    A decent sized Hard Drive is a must if you plan to record like this. I settled on a 3 terabyte internal hard drive and purchased it locally so I could return it if the receiver did not recognize it.
    The Duo2 recognized the drive when it was installed but it would not write anything to it. The 3TB drive was installed right out of the box, without any kind of formatting. I played around with it and tried to record on the new drive and got nothing. I tried to upload some files to the new drive with no success. Then I did a full E2 back-up. For some reason, doing the back-up also set the 3TB drive up. Live & Learn I guess.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast