Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My Review of the VU+ Duo2 FTA Receiver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    VU+ Is a new line of fta receiver for me. The VU+ Duo2 has a list of specs that I really liked so I decided to try one. The Duo2 that I purchased has 4 DVB-S2 tuners installed. I got the 4 tuner option so I could eliminate some switches and increase recording capabilities. In this first post, I will explain a little bit of what I have discovered about this receiver, then follow up later with some pictures and comments.

VU+ Duo2 Price as Tested: About $750.00 U.S.
    This price includes 4 DVB-S2 tuners, plus 1 ATSC USB Experimental tuner.
    There will be additional cost later as I add a decent internal hard drive.

First Impression: I love It!
    The speed and overall performance of this receiver meets or exceeds my expectations.

BlindScan: Poor or None
    BlindScan does not mean that much to me, but it is a feature that I want and need.
    The Duo2 BlindScan operates from a plugin that is almost identical to the AZBox Premium Plus in E2.
    There is no C band BlindScan. BlindScan only works for tuner 1.

Picture: No complaints from me for HD or SD formats.

Firmware: Enigma2 (E2)

Overall Performance: Excellent!
    The speed and smoothness of the tested E2 images is far above any other receiver that I have.

There are a ton of features in the Duo2, so it will probably take me at least a couple of months to fully understand this receiver's capabilities. I am also involved in a project to get ATSC (OTA) working so i can use this receiver to view the local tv stations. More on this as it develops.

As for the BlindScan, I just do not know. The plugin for this feature appears to be table dependent, and this would explain why there is no C band BlindScan. This is old technology that I hope gets updated.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have about this receiver. I will do my best to answer them and I will post more information as time permits. EB

Edit: Blindscan works on C band using Firmware openatv-3.0-vuduo2-20131018
    Two tuner blindscan is not currently available for tuners A&B. Blindscan does work for two tuners using tuner A and tuner C
    Last edited by el bandido; 10-21-2013 at 09:07 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Duo2 is packaged exceptionally well.
    The giftbox is not fancy. Just a box with some writing on it.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The Duo2 is Made in Korea

A couple more box pictures.

On my scales, the Duo2 weighs 6 pounds & 3 ounces

The Remote (RCU) is an exceptional piece.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Duo2 was shipped with an unknown E2 image.
    This image was quickly replaced with BlackHole 2.0.6

The Weather is impressive!

The 139W Radio Channels scan in nicely.

Lol
    Last edited by el bandido; 10-06-2013 at 03:39 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Advertised Features:
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powerful Dual Core CPU
    No more interrupted moment when using DUO2
    With the Powerful Dual Core CPU 1.3 GHz (MIPS based), the speed of operating functions is faster than you ever imagined. You will be satisfied with the system loading speed of functions such as booting, using plug-ins, or channel tuning.

Dual Display
    Double viewing screens provide double amount of convenience
    The front panel of Duo2 is equipped with both LCD and VFD. (TFT LCD 3.2" / 262,000 Color / 16bit) VFD provides basic information such as channels and time, while LCD screen provides more interesting information or use the LCD screen as a digital picture frame by putting your personal photo slides and so on. Dual display can increase both text and graphic content of multiple presentations. through LCD4Linux Plug-in. For example, you can have frequently updated weather, With the dual display option, viewing experience comfort level will be intensified.

1080p FULL HD
    Make your TV screen more realistic than ever before with DUO2
    The strong performance is ideal for 1080p Full High Definition decode and display. You will enjoy every second of watching TV due to the sharp and vivid images on your TV screen.

Double & Double Tuner
    Experience up to 4 tuners with only twin plug-able tuners.
    Double & Double tuner in Duo2 indicates twin plug-able tuner system with the availability of using dual tuner. You can experience to have up to 4 tuners with only 2 tuners inserted in DUO2. Moreover, as its tuner system is for DVB-S2 or DVB-T/C, your choice of watching TV will be even more fulfilling.

Built-in Wi-FI
    Easy and Simple Internet Connection with Built-in Wi-Fi
    Duo 2 features built-in Wi-Fi that connects to the Internet without any additional devices or wires. With the built-in Wi-Fi, you can fully enjoy high-definition streaming or web browsing. Built-in Wi-Fi allows enhanced multimedia applications with the easy access to the Internet.

Transcoding
    Enjoy TV contents on your personal mobile devices.
    Duo2 is the only box with the transcoding feature, which enables watching TV or other contents in different rooms via streaming. It provides the new level of convenience by providing transcoding system. Make your watching TV moment extra interactive with your personal electronic devices such as iPad or smart phones by down converting.

Recording up to 16 channels
    DUO2 makes it impossible to miss any of your favorite channel.
    You can record up to 16 Live channels simultaneously. There may be moments when you had to miss one for the other channels due to the lack of recording ability of previous STB. However, with DUO2, it is literally impossible for you to leave out any LIVE channels. With HDD (3.5 inch) internally equipped, you can play the recorded files whenever you want from Archive.

HbbTV
    Enjoy interactive services on your own living room.
    Duo 2 is the "HbbTV" supported set-top box. "HbbTV", Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV, is a major new pan-European initiative aimed at harmonizing the broadcast and broadband delivery of entertainment to the end consumer through connected TVs and Set-Top Boxes. In other words, HbbTV enables you to experience web browsing while watching the Live channel interactively at the same time. Main applications include TV Guide, Catch-up service, web video, VOD, or portal service. Additionally, you can check the weather, sports, news and etc,.

HD Picture in Picture
    More satisfactory experience of watching main & supplementary screens in HD quality.
    PiP(Picture in Picture) is displayed in High-Definition. There are no such thing as less important screen in DUO2 as it makes every viewing moment in HD quality.

Plug-Ins
    Double up your entertainment choices with various Plug-Ins.
    Various plug-ins developed by independent developers makes the whole experience of using DUO2 simple and incredibly fun. You can enjoy all those plug-ins with just simple click of downloading. There are Plug-ins made just for DUO2. For example, Vu+ AirPlay Plug-in provides easy content streaming of audio, video and photos from your personal electronic devices such as iPhones or iPads. You can view any contents from your TV screen to your mobile devices anywhere you want as long as you are in the same network. Not only do Plug-ins provide entertainment, but they also enable you to customize your own DUO2. It can have daily weather check frequently updated or even slide show of your favorite pictures.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    how is the tuner sensitivity compared to the x2?

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by solrackm View Post
    My friend, It will be better to ask how is the price compared to the X2?
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by solrackm View Post
    My tests so far show the Duo2 to be at least equal to the X2. I have not had the opportunity yet to test the 78W Brazil satellite and see if one receiver will open a DX channel while the other will not. This test will have to wait for the right opportunity.
    Also, the picture quality on the Duo2 is noticeably better than the X2 in both HD & SD. Some would argue that it takes more information to open a channel if the X2 opened a very weak channel and the Duo2 did not. Anyway, I will try to test this at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by carlospr43 View Post
    My friend, It will be better to ask how is the price compared to the X2?
    While you are comparing price, you might want to compare features.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been looking closely at the vuo2 with all its features and the price. Being that you have both the x2 and the vuo2, what do you think in your opinion about tuner sensitivity? I have the x2 and so far I have not seen any other sat receiver that has the x2 tuner strength in my opinion.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    p.s I missed post#7 you answered the tuner part for me. I read all the features. I also have the optibox raptor and love the features it has. price not much of a problem as long the receiver can kick ass.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I thought you were thinking they were both in the same range.
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast