1. Collapse Details
    IPTV - Internet connections speeds and the Raptor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Just an observation for IPTV fans out there. I have been using 12 Mbps connection speed for a few years and have always been satisfied with its performance. Mainly, because my wife uses Netflix in the bedroom's tv monitor via wifi and she's never complained about cut outs. We may have had a few hiccups now and then, but nothing serious to mention in those years.

The only compalints I've had, was with the Raptor and X7, both hard wired, hic cupping every once in a while, mostly on 720 and 1080 feeds from over the pond. Plus, it would usually take a few seconds for the video to appear and sometimes longer for the audio to synch with the video. My X2, hard wired, would take much more time displaying the wheel loading logo before any video popped up and audio synch. It also has much more and consistent cut outs. But note, the price spread between receivers is significant, so that is NOT a fair comparison; just an observation.

Today, I upgraded to 32 Mbps to experiment. Now, the Raptor's feeds pop in almost instantaneously and in synch with no hic cups, unless I visit a known bad Euro or Asian feed site. This tells me the buffer memory allocated is doing the job the coders intended; even prior when presented with a slower speed. The X7 on the other hand, is still a work in progress. But, it was a big improvement after the upgrade. I could still use some tweaking.

If I intended to watch streams mostly in the U.S., I would say 12 Mbps accomplished the needs for us. But, since I will be watching the Euro streams, I think I will stay with the higher speed for now.

Also to consider, is that your modem has the proper Docsis firmware support for the intended speed. Plus, the router being utilized can keep up with the modem's speed.

Again, just an OBSERVATION about connection speed.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Anaconda, Roku X2, Roku 3 and XMBC. Last week we upgraded from 6Mbps to 10Mbps for an additional $15 a month. A speed test shows that we are certainly receiving 10Mbps, but my wife and I notice NO difference. This weekend I'm going to check all the cables, router, etc. to determine if there is a problem. Perhaps the difference is only seen when multiple devices are operating at the same time.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had much luck with true HD streams with my ADSL2+ speed of 7Mbps, but anything streaming under 2Mbps works okay. Doesn't matter, though, since I only have a SD CRT television. I can usually find lower speed alternatives for what I need. That and turn off the torrent client when the streams start to stutter...

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks SG. As mentioned, I was not having problems with receiving streams originating within the U.S. with the slower speed. Netflix was fine at the slower speed. So was XBMC, along with VLC on the PC which I forgot to mention.

The problem I was having with the slower speed, was receiving overseas high band width streams consistently without drop outs and slow connection times to their servers. The band width capacity of their servers come in to play too. But, now using a higher speed at my end, has improved the connection time and consistency of the connection with the receivers.

Here in the U.S., as long as the major providers continue to use high band width capacity servers, a slower speed should suffice.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Sublime, but once one starts watching HD streaming, it can become addictive.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Until I get an HDTV, I'll take your word for it.