1. Collapse Details
    Just testing with usb stick
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Thought I would play with the latest HDMU (11058), but I didn't want to use the Raptor to prepare a usb stick. So, I unzipped the *.gz file to a folder on my winxp64 C drive. Rebooted with Knoppix Linux from a cd and inserted a usb stick with an older version of HDMU on it.

Then gave root rights to the usb stick and copied all the unzipped files from my C drive folder to the MINI1 directory on the usb stick overwriting the old folders and files. Deleted everything in the Vfat partition and copied the uImage file from the boot folder in MINI1. That was it, no need to reformat and create partitions. Took usb stick and inserted into Raptor and rebooted. Thanks sublime for some of these tricks.

After the initial screen resolution dialogue display, the receiver automatically restored my settings, skins, plugins, favorite bouquets, etc., from my last backup on the internal drive. It rebooted itself and I was running the 11058 version. Saved a lot of time and effort.

Really enjoying the E2 on the Raptor more and more lately. Changing channels from my pc is faster and more responsive than using the actual RC.

Now, I have to see if the virtual Linux program I've seen on the internet is compatible with Winxp64 or even win7. This would eliminate the need to reboot with a Knoppix cd.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of Webif, have you noticed that it seems to be broken in the latest images from HDMU? The last image had problems when zapping from one tuner to the other and the latest one just shows errors for me. They've been updating it with more features, but broke it in the process. I'm still using 1599 from late January as my main image. The newer ones I try them out for a day and then wait for the next.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I haven't used Webif in a while due to some of the errors you describe. For convenience, I use Dreamset to test new channels, especially when watching news of BBC, Euronews, Sky24, France 24, Deutsche Welle, which seem to change every other day, plus the "movie channels". Having the favorite bouquets listed by category on your pc screen makes editing and switching channels a breeze. Much, much faster than using the remote control. No need to have to keep plugging in an edited usb stick.

It's amazing how quickly one can get spoiled!

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may have to try Dreamset just to see what it can do... I think DreamboxEDIT has a similar capability. I know it works well under Wine in Linux. I usually test my channels by editing text files and FTP and rebooting E2 via the remote. Don't do it very often, so the remote gets a lot of use. Mostly watch the UK channels that I post here and some podcast networks that never change. The USB sticks stay in the receiver unless I want to change which image I boot.

Speaking of the title of this thread, I've been playing around with streaming some digital cable channels with a PCTV 801e in my computer's USB port via VLC to a bouquet channel. Works as well a VLC does on the computer--which is so-so. This is in Linux, so I'll have to try in Windows to see if it's an OS thing or a VLC thing...