Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    No increase to date! Only losses.
    Summertime chores have taken over my satellite time but I am starting to work with dishes and lnbs a bit. I do not know if my 6ft. Fortec Star has issues or if it is just a poor design because right now it does perform even equal to my 1.2 meter Geosat offset dish.
    One thing to remember: My Geosat 1.2 meter dish has a professional feedhorn installed on it. The Fortec has an adjustable feed on it but it is not made to the same standard as the Geosat's feedhorn. Still I had expected the bigger dish to perform better, even if the smaller dish had a feedhorn advantage.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Success!

I finally got the 1.8 meter dish tweaked and tuned for the ku band. My arc track is from 15W to above 125W. Overall average signal quality has increased a couple of points over my 1.2 meter dish, and gains of 1.5db SNR over the 1.2 meter dish are also common.
    The 1.8 meter dish is performing at a level that I more or less expected. My 1.2 and 1.8 meter dishes are non-commercial. They will not have the quality or performance that can be expected from a commercial dish with a matched lnb and feed horn. EB

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have some more pictures of your setup? I have a 6' WSI dish that I haven't setup and would like to do something similar for Ku. What kind of feedhorn can I use? I already have the same lnb. Are you using an 18" actuator?
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 1.8 meter actuator should be an 18 inch, but it has not been measured. I would be surprised if it was anything else than an 18.
    Invacom makes an adjustable feed horn for a ku prime focus dish. This feed horn has been available on Ebay at other places.
    I will post some pictures as time permits. I do not have any available right now.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the feedhorn that you purchased the same as the ADF-120? I would like to utilize my 6' dish with a similar setup to try and get 30w.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    ADF-120 Is the correct invacom part number and is the feed horn that I am using.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attached are a few pictures of my completed 1.8 meter Fortec dish. I have three open ports on the lnb that will be used for other receivers at a later time. These ports are open right now so plugs or caps need to be put on them so the ports do not go bad and compromise the lnb.

I have seen numerous claims about how long neck lnbs are supposed to help improve some kind of adjustment on your satellite dish. Some writings have suggested that you can use a long neck lnb to adjust the beamwidth (F/D) of the lnb to match your dish which is about impossible with a one piece lnb.
    There is one lnb company that tells the truth. Here is a quote from Inverto about their long neck lnb.
    The Extend TM range was specifically designed to address the need to support multi-LNB
    installations on a single dish antenna.
    The long neck allows greater flexibility in positioning the LNBs next to each other enabling
    access to satellites typically too close in their orbital position to be received with standard
    neck LNBs. Manufactured to the highest industry quality standards and designed to meet
    strict specifications, this LNB is an ideal solution for the satellite broadcast reception across
    Europe.
    Look at the attached pictures, and you will see where lnb feed support arms have two possible bolt holes for mounting the feed. I tried both of them and ended up using the second bolt hole. Moving the neck of the lnb in and out would change the signal by a noticeable amount when the feed was in the first set of bolt holes. The position of the lnb neck became less important, with the maximum signal being found at the bottom of the lnb neck with the feed set correctly in the second set of bolt holes.

The Invacom ADF-120 is an adjustable feedhorn. The lnb can be set to illuminate the whole dish without seeing the earth behind the dish by screwing the scalar ring in or out the lnb tube or waveguide. The scalar is almost screwed all the way off the lnb tube on my Fortec 1.8 meter dish. This is where the lnb seems to work the best so I plan to leave it as seen in the pictures.

I am not a fan of installing inline amplifiers such as the Eagle Aspen SA-2050+ 2150 MHz In-Line Amplifiers unless the cable length between the lnb and the receiver is over 200-250 feet. Most fta lnb's already have a line amplifier built into them so adding another line amplifier in a short run of coax will probably not do anything except to drive the noise floor up.

The 1.8 meter dish is currently being fed with a length of decent grade RG11, then split using a diseqc switch with about 30 feet of cheap RG6. At least one future run from the receiver to the 1.8 meter lnb will be all RG11. I like the bigger coax, and feel that it holds up better over a period time as compared to a cheap grade of RG6. EB
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The comparison of received satellite signals between the 1.2 meter offset dish with the Raven feedhorn and the 1.8 meter dish with the Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn will continue. Below are some Android signal meter screenshots of a couple of channels at 87West.

Here is the screenshot of the 1.8 meter dish on LPBHD
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And the 1.2 meter dish on LPBHD.

Not much difference between those two.

Now for the Telemundo channel on the same satellite.

Here is the 1.8 meter screenshot.

Now the 1.2 meter screenshot.

All of these screenshots were taken in the shortest time period possible. Neither dish was moved during these shots and the night sky was fairly clear. EB

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    What program are you using to measure the signal?

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    PKT Enigma 2 firmware with E2 Android Signal Meter. This system works very good for making dish/lnb adjustments without having to connect or disconnect anything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast