Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    X2 Shop Tests
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I brought the X2 into our workshop at the Radio Station. Here we have a commercial 12' dish parked at 139w for radio feeds. The X2 did well with these feeds from Global America, Premiere, Clear Channel, and Cumulus radio networks, 562 in all. Over 100 0f them were active today. These have a mix of DVB-s2, AC3, and aac audio, the X2 played them all.
    When sorting thru the radio channel list I had the box lock up a few times. Seems you can't get to fast fingered with the X2 or this will happen. Without a power switch you have to pull the plug, kind of a nuisance.

I then set up the variable loading to test the LNB voltage and current. Set for 18v @ 400 ma, the X2 maximum rating, I held it at this level for an hour. The box runs quite warm, but not hot, and no more than under normal load.

Next was to see what this box can handle. I turned up the load to draw 502.6 ma, 100 over the max rating. Voltage held at 17.99v and no extra heat was observed.

Final test was to take it as high as it would go. As I got up to 650ma the voltage started to fall to 17v. Then somewhere around 700ma the receiver shut down and re-booted.

I was wondering how this little box could easily meet and exceed it's max ratings. Inside under the card reader is the LNB regulator, 2SA928a rated at 2 amps, far beyond the .4 amp LNB rating.
    The power supply itself has heavy diodes and a transformer that makes a shame out of the Openbox S-10. Anyone posting that they don't have enough power to move a motor has something else wrong. The X2 has the capability.

I'll post more after I've had the box a few more days.

2. Thanks sorkhfam thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pixl glad you putting this box through the ringers always nice to see the 420 pm pixl report so far on the x2 premium

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Good to see the testing platform and results.

...and no over current protection shutoff until 700ma ?

As you elude to your findings seem contrary to reports elsewhere of a "light" PSU.
    Last edited by hags; 02-11-2013 at 05:35 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elsewhere, you have a MicroHD distributor that gets a commission for every MicroHD sold. What information can you expect to get from a person like this?

BTW, Notice the MicroHD guy never mentions the blind scan of the X²?
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    Elsewhere, you have a MicroHD distributor that gets a commission for every MicroHD sold. What information can you expect to get from a person like this?

BTW, Notice the MicroHD guy never mentions the blind scan of the X²?

Exactly. The blind scan on the X2 is very good and quick as well.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks pixl, Its a quite well build unit. My first one which I'm using since October 2012 is handling 8 double outputs LNB's via (4) 4x4 and (4) 1.0 diseqc switches. I have a 1TB HDD connected to the USB port for movies and an ethernet cable for Internet, 7 days a week almost all the day all long!! The X2 has pulled TPs and channels that I wasnt able to scan in with any of my oldest Stbs (Coolsat 8100HD, Openbox S9 and S10) including TPs with 2000 or lower SRs!!
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice info!

Thanks

click click b00m

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    My final thoughts after working with the X2 for a week now.

The good...
    The best feature already mentioned by others is the blind scan. Faster by far than any box I've worked with, and it finds everything.
    The menus and other operations are easy to figure out, very well designed.
    Support for wireless is easy. Most any wireless usb adapter with a Ralink chip will work, just plug it in and all the wireless signals in your area will appear, select one, add user name and password if needed and it connects.
    Plug in a usb hub and you can run additional devices simultaneously such as a HDD or usb stick.

The X2 has been out for a few months now and they quickly released several FW updates to fix most of the bugs. There are a few still lingering..
    When keying in your local lat and long for USALS there is no save button available. But by some quirk you can save it by exiting that screen to a preset country location and then back and it sticks. Not a big problem as you only need to do this once.
    It is disappointing that there are only 32 motor positions that can be saved, 64 would be better, 99 would be the best as it would match the 99 positions in most 1.2 diesqc boxes.
    The SD picture quality is not as good as other boxes. HD is better, I've been spoiled by the Raptor I have with great SD and HD.
    For the money, you get more than what you paid for.

10. Thanks sorkhfam thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent write up.

I have come to the same conclusions with the exception of picture quality.

I would only add that picture quality is subjective and there are alot of variables involved with it especially when talking about DIY FTA satellite tv/radio.

Nice to see some tests done on the bench too.

12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with Pixl.
    The X² does not have the picture quality that most higher priced receivers have. I tested the X² on two televisions and compared it to three different fta receivers, The X² came up short in the picture department every time. But what can you expect from a fifty dollar receiver? EB
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast