Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    BUD Mesh
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Just wondering if anyone has ever recovered their mesh using something like metal window screening. The 12 footer I have appears to have quite large holes compared to my 7 1/2' so I am very sure I will not be able to pull in Ku band. I was wondering if I were to take metal screening, cut to fit each section of the dish and lay it over the existing mesh held in place by glue would it work. With holes being small as they are on a metal window screening, this would almost equate to a light weight solid dish. Opinions?
    Optibox Anaconda, X2, OpenBox-S9, CS8000 and 2 X CW700S, 7 1/2' Perfect Ten scanning 55W to 139W C Band and a 39" Q-Sat scanning 30W to 125W Ku Band

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never had to repair one. As long as it is reflective I guess.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had kind of thought that with the mesh being so fine it should work. Still looking around to see if I can find anywhere selling replacement mesh for the 12'
    Optibox Anaconda, X2, OpenBox-S9, CS8000 and 2 X CW700S, 7 1/2' Perfect Ten scanning 55W to 139W C Band and a 39" Q-Sat scanning 30W to 125W Ku Band

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you could remove a section of mesh from your 7.5 if it is easy to remove and replace it with screen and do before and after signal/quality checks with your receiver.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by easily confused View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has ever recovered their mesh using something like metal window screening. The 12 footer I have appears to have quite large holes compared to my 7 1/2' so I am very sure I will not be able to pull in Ku band. I was wondering if I were to take metal screening, cut to fit each section of the dish and lay it over the existing mesh held in place by glue would it work. With holes being small as they are on a metal window screening, this would almost equate to a light weight solid dish. Opinions?
    several years ago I had limbs fall off a tree on my 8 ft dish & I used galvanized metal lath to repair it, worked like a charm!!!!!

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can fit a pencil tip through the holes then it was intended for c band use only. I've never attempted to replace mesh but did repair a couple of spots on my 10' bud with fish string. Why don't you use it exclusively for c band and use the 7.5' for ku band?

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few months ago I went to see a Winegard 10 footer that was brought back to life after extreme hail damage. The individual replaced all mesh panels with very thin sheet metal cut into appropriate sized petals. He used self tapping sheet metals screws to fasten the petals.

It didn't look bad, just rather bright since he didn't paint it. He said it improved his signal level by 2-4 points on his receiver. It did increase dish movement in high wind though. He said he was very pleased with the results.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Costactc View Post
    If you can fit a pencil tip through the holes then it was intended for c band use only. I've never attempted to replace mesh but did repair a couple of spots on my 10' bud with fish string. Why don't you use it exclusively for c band and use the 7.5' for ku band?
    Actually, Costa, I get better Ku reception on my 39" then the 7 1/2'. I get some Ku but nothing on 83 (RTV/TUFF). From what the guy told me, this dish is around 20 years old. The holes, in the mesh, appear to be about 1/8', not round but diamond shape. If I use the original mesh, will this still get good reception on all c-band?

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day they were mainly manufactured just for c band, you should get excellent results with it. Keep in touch with me when installing it so we can get you the Atlantic sats as well.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will definitely do that. I am trying to figure out whether I will need to buy another actuator or if I am ok with what I have. I currently have a 24" vonweise on the 7 1/2' BUD and I have 2 spare 24" actuators, one vonweise and the other has no identifying name plate. It is about 2/3 the weight of the vonweise. Would I need to go to a heavier actuator for the 12 foot dish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast