1. Collapse Details
    Making A Bootable E2 USB Stick Without a Hard Drive Installed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    (Saw this info on the Octagon site and clarified the steps to make them easier to understand. Tried it and it worked with both the HDMU and PKTeam images that I have.)

How to Make a Bootable E2 USB Stick With ONLY ONE Stick and NO Hard Drive:

1. Put a Blank USB Stick in Front USB Port and Start TGZ-USB-Installer plug-in.
    2. Do Step 2 in the plug-in to Unmount the USB Stick.
    3. Do Step 3 in the plug-in to Partition the USB Stick.
    4. Exit the plug-in.
    5. Remove the USB Stick from receiver and plug into your PC.
    6. Copy the "filename.tar.gz" E2 file to the VFAT partition of the USB Stick.
    7. Remove USB Stick from PC, insert into Receiver and wait until you see onscreen that it has mounted.
    8. Start TGZ-USB-Installer plug-in and Do Step 4.
    9. Do Step 5 and reboot.

If E2 boots up, Congratulations, you have success!

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The TGZ-USB-Installer plug-in works great on and is made specifically for 4GB sticks. But what if you have a stick larger than that and want to use it for Enigma2? Once you have done Step 5 in the plug-in, the bootargs are set in the receiver and you need never run the plug-in again unless you want to revert back to the original settings.

You can do a manual installation under Linux on your computer (installed or live utility distro on disk--Parted Magic is a good one). Here are the steps:

1. Take a USB stick and partition it into two partitions: one FAT32 format and the other EXT2 format labelled "MINI1". Each partition should be at least 384MB.
    2. Open up the .tar.gz image file with an archive utility and extract the contents into the EXT2 formatted partition, making sure that directory structure is preserved.
    3. Copy the uImage file from the boot directory to the root of the FAT32 partition.

That's it! Your disk is ready to boot. If you want, you can even make a third partion formatted to EXT2/EXT3 and label it "RECORD" to use as your HDD if you don't have an internal hard drive installed and you want to save the wear and tear on the internal flash of the receiver. A one-stick solution!

[Note: If I ever find out a way to install more than one image on a stick and be able to select one at boot like GRUB or BURG on Linux, I'll append this thread with another post.]

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks Sublime

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I open the loader option 2 is not highlighted. Only 5 BootArgs set and 9 BootArgs reset are available. What am I doing wrong?
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put tar.gz file on USB. Go to plugin and upload it.

Go to settings and have the Raptor format your usb.

then go back to plugin...select the remove USB ... but do not physically remove it.

Go to settings and red button eject USB but do not remove it. EXIT , EXIT out and next screen will be plugin again...ready to format usb

Then on you go.

6. Thanks rrob311, el bandido, ViP3R thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I goto plugin the only plugins i have are the usb installer and hdf flasher. how do I upload the file to plugin?
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

8. Thanks mountaineer thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    here is a screen shot or two from places around the net. You need to have the plugin installed.
    You need a fat 32 usb stick installed with the tar.gz fw file on it.
    With the usb inserted in the raptor and the raptor running original fw...go to plugins and select the tgz-usb installer plugin (see image)
    when the plugin opens you should see tgz cache option 1 highlited...that loads the fw from the usb into the raptor cache to be worked with and reloaded onto usb. it is option one in the menu (see image) when that is done up top there will be a green list of the FW loaded into cache. Then just follow the rest of the instructions in this thread. Hope this helps.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

10. Thanks rrob311, el bandido thanked for this post