Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Ya it should be an ok test because I have a 4 into 1 and 22 switches on a few of the ports so I will definitely be able to test that. I also have a usals motor that I can test it with so I should be able to cover a few of the bases.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got the receiver and I am slowly checking it out. It is about the size of my Openbox S10. It comes with 2 remotes which are pretty small and slim.The receiver has a chinese plug and an adapter was included in the box along with a 2nd remote, rca cables, and an hdmi cable. In the back of the manual it lists CPU at NT78326 32MB flash memory, and 1Gb DDR2. I cannot find any other specs on the processor. There are no Composite outputs on the back just your regular yellow, red and white RCA hookups.

The X2 booted directly into the proper mode using the HDMI port. The menus remind me a lot of my Coolsat 6000. I could not find a manual pid entry anywhere. The satellite list goes from 61w all the way back around the world but unfortunately does not include American satellites. It has multiple LNB settings but only has 5150/5750 for my bandstacked LNB. I need 5750/5150. Scanning with that setting gives me the same results as my Coolsat 6000. If I manually enter transponders using the bandstacked lnb it works properly but gives wrong transponder numbers when blind scanning. The blind scan works OK and seems to be similar to the Openbox however it didn't find my low SR channel FSTV, on 123W. I still haven't been able to manually enter FSTV but peace tv blind scans in at 2000SR.

I briefly messed with the multimedia setting and loaded my 16gb usb drive into the back. In the Movies portion it allows me to play .trp files from my Viewsat Max and Sonicview 8000. I was unable to get those type files to play with my Openbox so that is a plus I guess. It has a few games in the "others" menu along with a calender and basic calculator. Lets see 2+2=4 so the calculator seems to work well. It lists wifi support but I am not sure what wireless dongles are compatible as of yet.

I hooked up the ethernet cable to the back and am able to use the Weather function. I set the network to auto and it automatically connected to my router with no hassle. I set my local city to Nashua NH which is the closest to me. A bug I found is with the Weather is there are 4 settings. I am able to load 4 cities but when you try to switch through them only 2 came up even though they are still saved in the menu. Obviously a bug of some sort. The Youtube function works fine as of the 10/11 upgrade. I tried this with the firmware that the unit was shipped with and the 9/25 firmware to no avail but the latest firmware addressed this. It seems it would be a lot easier to use youtube if there was a keyboard option but I haven't heard anything.

It lists an upgrade by OTA and Network function. I tried the Network function and it froze up so I don't recommend trying this setting due to the risk of bricking the box. I was able to upgrade using a 4gb usb drive with no issues.

A cool function I noticed is if you press the red button in the channel list it will toggle from an SD list to an HD list.

An annoying thing is the moving dish message that stays up for awhile. Also the picture seems to convert on some channels and will go from low resolution to higher resolution it seems. (I am using my HDMI cable) Another problem that will need to be fixed is when switching from satellite to satellite using the USALS motor it will not always drive the motor to the other satellite. I have to manually go back into the installation menu and drive the motor. I reset the box and it worked fine the second time. The USALS positioning seems to work fine otherwise. You will know when the dish moves because of the annoying message that stays up. Another annoyance is when you edit a channel name and save it, a fresh blind scan will change the name back to the original name like the Openbox.

Some things I would like to see with this box would be: Another 5750/5150 LNB setting like my Openbox, A NA satellite file, manual pid entry, and listing of the resolution on the channel you are on.

This is just a brief review of the box as I just opened it up a little over an hour ago. I will try to do a better review in a few days when I have more time. Overall I am very impressed with this box for what it costs. Considering I spent about 130$ on my Openbox S9 a little over a year ago this box seems to do everything that the S9 does and then some.
    Last edited by rrob311; 10-16-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Youtube fix

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    rrob
    Thanks for the review!! I read in another forum that there is a new firmware dated 9/25/2012 which is supposed to fix the YOUTUBE and WEATHER functions. It does mention to press "6767". Here is a direct link to their home page and the file

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

you can also download the ez manager (sort of a Channel Editor)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'm on my way to order one!!

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The moving dish message is your typical ALI chip box nag, depending on the firmware...ALI will always have limitations on what can and what cannot be done with these boxes..They have come along way..I think I payed 179 for my S9 years ago and I still have it, apart from the HDMI failing it's been a good box.

Support will probably not be very good..The Chinese are masters at putting out new boxes and stopping support so you buy another new model.
    This is the world we live in.

Not to take away anything from anyone in this thread, but if you add up all the cheap boxes you have bought... Raptor comes to mind..It is not PERFECT..but as close to perfect in a box as you will get today and yesterday and probably tomorrow and the next day.

click click b00m

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to mess with the Motor memory settings and can get the dish to move back and forth consistently. There are 32 settings. I just drive the motor using USALS to where I want it and then store the satellite position to its own number and I can get the motor to move back and forth fine when switching from a channel from separate satellites. Not sure why the USALS will not switch back and forth consistently but it works OK in the other mode. Another weird bug is after switching from my motorized Ku dish to one of my Cband dishes and then back it will still move the dish but it takes awhile for the channel to come up like the diseqc switch is not being switched back. If I cycle the power to the box it then switches fine.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting how you can get the positioner to work and the MicroHD salesman cannot...After all the Youtube feature and the weather forecaster are just fluff!!!lol

Check your switch between ku and c band. It may be bad or not working correctly even if it works on another receiver.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya I have a 4 into 1 with ports 1 and 2 going into my invacom qph 031 on the motorized KU. Port 3 goes to both of my C band dishes with the 22khz switch, Port 4 is hooked up to a pair of stationary Ku dishes using 22khz. There is definitely some buggy stuff going on but overall it seems better than my Openbox S9 and it is more reliable than my Openbox S10 and cheaper so I can't complain.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my coax fed from my receiver directly into my sg2100 motor for quite some time. the input on the motor is where I have my 4 into 1 switch hooked up into. I am going to try to reverse this tomorrow and see if it helps this receiver with the switching issue. Does anyone else have their setup like mine or do you feed the 4 to 1 directly to the receiver as opposed to the sg2100 Ku dish motor?

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    There should not be anything installed between the dish motor and the receiver. Any switches that are installed should be after the motor and not between the receiver and motor.
    You wire it like this so the motion commands for the motor will not be corrupted. EB
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast