I got E2 booting again. I had tried formatting the USB stick on my computer and then copying the files from the archive to it to start fresh, with the results as in my previous message. But then, running the Optibox firmware, I noticed that it didn't recognize the USB stick at all! I don't know why, because I'm sure I formatted it to FAT32 on the computer. But I formatted it to FAT32 with the Optibox instead, and it obviously recognized it then. So I tried E2 again, no go. I realized that the Optibox probably hadn't formatted it as bootable. I couldn't find any way in Windows 7 to format it as bootable either, so I resorted to using a Linux utility to set the boot flag. Then it worked! I have E2 back up and running, at least as far as I did before. It can still only use the composite output, and can't change it from PAL, because I still get no output whatsoever from the HDMI no matter what resolution I change it to. (Which is strange, because when it boots up I get the Team Ducktales Enigma2 splash screen via the HDMI output, albeit with the video noise I wrote about before.)

I ran the setup wizard this time, and then uploaded a North American satellite file. I got it to do a transponder scan of 97W Ku. (There doesn't appear to be any way to do a blind scan.) Then I tried a scan of 125W Ku, and despite being sure I had set up everything correctly, for some reason it scanned 99W instead! I haven't had time to figure out what's wrong there. Next time, I think I'm going to try uploading a satellite file with only Ku-band satellites. When I generated the file via the website I posted earlier, I had it generate it with C and Ku, but I think that's confusing the box, having two satellites at the same position, because even though the selection dialog only lists the satellites as C-band, the scan dialog says Ku-band.